• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MARS_999

Dynamic MultiDim arrays with Structures

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having an issue with my dynamic 2 dim array thats a struct.
struct Vertex
{
	float vx;
	float vy;
	float vz;
	float nx;
	float ny;
	float nz;
	float tx;
	float ty;
};

//this is declared in a class
Vertex **terrain;

//now in my constructor
terrain = new Vertex*[mapData.map_Z];
	for(z = 0; z < mapData.map_Z; z++)
	terrain[z] = new Vertex[mapData.map_X];

I am getting this message error Access violation writing location 0xfdfdfdfd. So I am led to believe I am not allocating something right...

Advertisement
Where does the access violation occur? Whilst allocating the array(s) or later on access? The code you have is correct (except for the lack of exception safety). Probably you have memory errors elsewhere in your code, especially if this is not the only place you are taking the responsibility for memory management yourself by using new instead of a managed array such as std::vector.

For this situation you may consider alternatives like a vector of vectors, a single vector indexed by (y * width) + x, a Boost.MultiArray, or another suitable container.

Enigma

Quote:
Original post by Enigma
Where does the access violation occur? Whilst allocating the array(s) or later on access? The code you have is correct (except for the lack of exception safety). Probably you have memory errors elsewhere in your code, especially if this is not the only place you are taking the responsibility for memory management yourself by using new instead of a managed array such as std::vector.

For this situation you may consider alternatives like a vector of vectors, a single vector indexed by (y * width) + x, a Boost.MultiArray, or another suitable container.

Enigma

I find it. I had the data set to zero for the size... But on another note. The data in my vertex struct is all auto variables. So if I am using a dynamic array of vertex do I need to change my floats in the vertex struct to make them dynamic also or can I leave them as autos...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!