• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Simian Man

Trouble with priority_queue

This topic is 4657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am writing an A* search procedure and define my nodes like this:
struct Node
{
	int x,y;
	unsigned char data;

int f,g,h;

bool closed;

Node* parent;

bool operator<( Node & rhs )
	{
		return (this->f >= rhs.f);
	}
};

Then I try to use a priority_queue of these like this:
Quote:
std::priority_queue<Node> open_list;
The error I get is this:
Quote:
binary '<' : no operator defined which takes a left-hand operand of type 'const std::vector<_Ty>::value_type' (or there is no acceptable conversion) To use the operator, you must overload it for the specified type or define a conversion to a type for which the operator is defined.
I don't understand this because I do overload the less than operator. Did I overload it incorrectly? Is there Somthing else I need to do? Thanks for reading this! [Edited by - Simian Man on September 22, 2005 3:42:04 PM]

Advertisement
EDIT: This answer was incorrect. See the following posts.

priority_queue wants a binary operator<, that is a free function which takes two parameters, not a member function:
struct Node
{
int x,y;
unsigned char data;

int f,g,h;

bool closed;

Node* parent;

};

bool operator<(Node const & lhs, Node const & rhs)
{
return lhs.f >= rhs.f;
}

Enigma

[Edited by - Enigma on September 22, 2005 4:43:26 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Enigma
priority_queue wants a binary operator<, that is a free function which takes two parameters, not a member function:
Unless I've misunderstood something about operator overloading a constant member function should work as well.
bool Node::operator <(const Node &rhs) const {
return f > rhs.f;
}

Quote:
Original post by Enigma
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
Enigma

That is not the problem, the problem is that he did not allow his operands to be const objects. The default function object used by priority_queue is ::std::less, which performs a less then comparison using references to const values. Since his version accepts operands by reference to non-const, he has error.

That being said, one should still generally prefer non-member functions for operators such as < for symmetry in syntax and in semantics.

Yes, you're right of course. Must have been having a brain-fart. My apologies. It's the constness that was the issue.

Enigma

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!