Colormental

Started by
2 comments, last by livingaftermidnight 18 years, 7 months ago
Not sure where this goes, feel free to relocate it. I just thought id shoot a link to my latest project and see what people thought and to catch and bugs or ideas we havent thought of or seen yet. We are a student dev team, the project has been developed over 3 months thus far with one month left. I thought id drop a link and maybe get some feedback. We're going for a totally unique look with some solid gameplay. Will be entered into the IGF student competition. So let me know what you think. Its in beta so expect bugs. If you cant get it to run, i think you need to get the msxml run time installer...not sure if its included...enjoy http://willdull.com/projects.htm Colormental is a 2d-3d platformer. Your world has been invaded by the Huemans who are stealing the color from it. Your job as Roy G Biv is to fend off the huemans and restore the color they have stolen. Your only wepaon is your color which takes the form of 5 different elements, Ice, fire, air, poison and lightning. Yu solve puzzles as you make your way through the level defeating the huemans. Roy has his main element which he uses to fight which not only attacks but gives an innate ability, such as air increases jump height. You can hold two elements at a time and swap one out for the other at any time. You can also absorb the element of an enemy. The elements are nto only used to fight but to solve puzzles as well. Right now there is no end state and the world isnt finished nor are the puzzle but its beta so its expected. As well the real sounds have yet to be added which is currently being done and will be finished within the week, and the bg music was removed temporarily.I would appreciate anyones input, from gameplay to bugs. If you want to know anything else just reply and I will answer your question. Something to consider is the target platform is the FLex Arcade so imagine seeing this game at an Arcade. I appreciate any help and comments/questions. [Edited by - Tang of the Mountain on September 22, 2005 7:49:13 PM]
We have youth, how about a fountain of smart.e4 e5 f4 d5
Advertisement
I don't think that you will get many downloads unless you give a description of your game. What makes it fun enough that I would want to download it?
Looks great, I really like the decision to do some non-traditional visuals. The painterly looks is really nice. It looks as though you're doing per-pixel lighting on some your quads which have bump maps (looks like paint strokes)? Something along those lines? Excellent idea.

A few suggestions, all of them aesthetics:

1) One problem with high-frequency lighting (like per-pixel lighting) is that you normally get too much "sharpness" in the image. This will look particularly bad if the image is ever displayed on an interlaced television (not sure what the setup for Flex Arcade is). I would recommend doing a bit of blurring on your images. Fortunately, since most of is screen-aligned quads, you can get away with just tweaking the mipmap bias. Perhaps even fluctuated it ever so slightly with a perlin noise function (smooth noise), it will keep the visuals "alive."

2) Another suggestion is to think about making the background image fully animated. I tried very hard to find an old Game Developer article that discussed this, but could not find it. The basics were to make the image a vector field and pass particles over it "painting" the background. It was pretty cool and I always wanted to give it a play. If anyone finds it I'd be very interested. But using what appears to be a bump-mapping technique you have you could "flow" your bump textures and brush strokes and get a very "trippy" background... great for an arcade as it would certainly attract attention.

Just my ideas for now... really cool, can't wait to see the finished results.

Troy.
I'm another member of the Colormental team. Thanks a lot for your input, it's very appreciated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement