• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkDude

Using famous names,songs...etc

This topic is 4659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can I name my game for example U2 or Pink Floyd or Star Trek? Also can I use a famous song in a video trailer or something? As you can see I'm interested in copyrights...

Advertisement
I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say that you can't. You definitely can't use a famous song in a trailer - at least not without paying for the right to use it so. I don't think you'd want to name your game after a rock group or a tv show - not unless they gave you the ok to make a game named after them and about them.

On the other hand, you can probably get away with taking a name from a character or something similar. For example, Duran Duran took it's name from the movie Barbarella. And there's a band named Aqualung and a Jethro Tull song named Aqualung too.

@TheDarkDude
Short answer: no
Long answer: Maybe, see this Wikipedia article for a good overview of copyright laws (primiraly about USA's laws)

@LessBread
"Duran Duran took it's name from the movie Barbarella."
No one bothers to secure or uphold a copyright on such a small aspect of a larger copyrighted work
"And there's a band named Aqualung and a Jethro Tull song named Aqualung too."
There are HUNDREDS of bands named after other band's songs or lyrics. Aqualung is a tribute band. Again, see Wikipedia on this matter. I am not sure about the copyright concerns surrounding tributes. Do your own research...

There is also a Jethro Tull tribute band named "Aqualung" according to the directory at tribute-band.com:
Aqualung

Additionally, "aqualung" is a word meaning "A portable breathing apparatus for divers, consisting of cylinders of compressed air strapped on the back, feeding air automatically through a mask or mouthpiece." source

However, this digression should end. This is TheDarkDude's thread.

You could probably get away with naming a game U2 if it has something to do with the airplane and had nothing to do with the band or their music.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!