Code::Blocks Intellisense equivalent?

Started by
12 comments, last by templewulf 18 years, 6 months ago
So, I switched from MSVC7 to Code::Blocks, because I wanted compiler that's more standards compliant. I figured there's not a compiler much more anal than GCC, so I went that way. The problem is, I think I'm addicted to the MSVC IDE! I wasn't particularly fond of their compiler, but I think Visual Studio 7 is a pretty cushy environment! The thing I miss the most is intellisense. I searched the Code::Blocks wiki, but with no results. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent plug-in or something I can use with this IDE?
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by templewulf
So, I switched from MSVC7 to Code::Blocks, because I wanted compiler that's more standards compliant. I figured there's not a compiler much more anal than GCC, so I went that way.

Actually, you'd be wrong. VC7 is the more compliant compiler.

Anyway, Code::Blocks has an intellisense plugin, it just doesn't work too hot. There's nothing better unfortunately.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Actually, you'd be wrong. VC7 is the more compliant compiler.

I wish there were an [incredulous] smiley. Are you freakin' kidding?

MSVC6 was god-awful! I figured .NET would be the same. I mean..really? Anyway, is that intellisense built into the IDE or is it a plug-in I have to get somewhere? I can't figure out where it is.
It's called the Code Completion plugin. It works...occasionally.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Well, in light of that, what IDE / compiler do you use? I mean, I want to give Code::Blocks a try, but if it's really less standards compliant, I'm just not sure where I stand!

Rating++, btw
Well, in light of that, what IDE / compiler do you use? I mean, I want to give Code::Blocks a try, but if it's really less standards compliant, I'm just not sure where I stand!

If you like MSVC7 why don't you just keep using it? If you really wanted to give Code::Blocks a try and stay with the Microsoft compiler you can just use the free Visual C++ Toolkit.
I wish there were an [incredulous] smiley. Are you freakin' kidding?

MSVC6 was god-awful! I figured .NET would be the same. I mean..really?...

None of the compilers I'm aware of is 100% compliant, but VC7.1 is pretty good...don't know about 7.0. If you use 7.1 and turn up the warning level to 4 and turn on warnings as errors you should be pretty well off.

Just curious...what problems with it were you having?

-John

- John
VC6 wan't very compliant, but 7.1 upwards is fine.

You know that the VC compiler and IDE are seperate though? You could easily configure code blocks to work with the VC IDE, and you might be able to configure the VC IDE to work with GCC, but it would be more difficult and some features wouldnt work.
I was just under the assumption that it wasn't very compliant, because VC6 was a big steaming pile.

@Teknofreek:
I wasn't having any problems, but I'm going to try my hand at a multi-platform game engine, so I thought GCC would be the way to go, and I don't want to have to integrate it with the MS IDE.

Since everybody here seems pretty positive about it (MSVC7), maybe I'll just stick with it.

Thanks guys!
Quote:Original post by Promit
Actually, you'd be wrong. VC7 is the more compliant compiler.

Promit, is it really more compliant? I know both GCC and VC++ 7.1 are both very compliant compilers I never realized VC++ 7.1 was slightly more compliant.

I do know I had to fix a bunch of compile issues when porting my code from VC++ 7.1 to GCC, and all of those compile errors were non-compliant errors that VC++ shouldn't have let compile that GCC caught.

But I guess if I had written everything in GCC and tried compiling in VC++ 7.1 it would have been the other way around.

Got any links supporting VC++ 7.1 being more standard compliant?

- Houdini
- Houdini

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement