Recommendations for the future.

Started by
8 comments, last by ncasebee 18 years, 7 months ago
I've read some C++ books and now I want to program for windows. I am primarily C++, having read 2 C++ books and Focus on SDL. The question.........Win32 API of MFC? Which one? Which is best for C++ and me? I thought MFC was because it is built on a C++ level. Could I get some book recommendations on the one which is best for me, and yes I did read the for beginners section many a time. Another ?. What about the future? With Vista coming up, what is going to happen? I heard that Win32 and MFC will be thrown out.What is the best thing to learn right now knowing that? What will replace them however? Anyone? What is all this .Net, Managed, C# stuff. Very confusing. If I wanted to learn Win32, I need to know C. I know that much from my DirectX prep reading. All the ways of C come out. Printf,Memmoc,Free,Structures, and other stuff. Should I grab a C book? What would you recommend? I wanted to bump my old post, but couldn't. Thx dxFoo for your reply.
Advertisement
Ehh, I don't that thing about C is really true; You can use Win32 with C++, you just have to write your Win32-specific code in C-style. Besides, structures are in both C++ and C, you just can't have function attached to them in C. And why would you be printf()ing if you were making a Win32 app?

I don't think it's on the way out, or at least that's what I've seen/heard.
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
Books? Win32 or MFC?
Wont Vista be built on completely managed code though? Why leave old Win32/MFC stuff in? I dont mean that you cant write code in c++ just wont MFC and old Win32 code be deprecated.
That's what I'm asking, and what to learn now if that is the case. Managed code is C#? or is it C++ with the .net?
I would say either learn C# .net, C++ (unmanaged), or C (unmanaged). Prob starting with C or C# first would be easiest, then learning the others is easy smeasy. (but not greasy! lol im stupid i know)
DONT LET THEM DISCRIMINATE! BRING BACK THE BLACK!
Anyone else wanna look at my question?
"If I wanted to learn Win32, I need to know C. I know that much from my DirectX prep reading. All the ways of C come out. Printf,Memmoc,Free,Structures, and other stuff. Should I grab a C book? What would you recommend?"

Well C is a subset of C++. Anything you could do in C++ you could do in C. The Win32 API is fully accessable from C++, if you were wondering that. Now for a Win32 program, you definately won't need printf much. You would probably use new and delete instead of malloc (not memmoc) and free. In C++ struct and class are almost the exact same.

C++ = C + OOP (Object Oriented Programming)

Learn C++, it's very useful and widespread. If you learn C first you will know what's the difference between C and C++.
Win32 or MFC, and any good books? C++ Primer vs C++ Primer Plus? Current books in library.

Big C++ (Read bits and pieces.)
Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours (Read)
C++ for Dummies
C++ by Disection
Focus on SDL (Read)
Secrets of the Windows Game Programming Guru's 2nd
Special Effects Programming with DirectX (Attempted Win32 section, confused.)
Some other C++ books.
Anyone?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement