best image format?

Started by
20 comments, last by kburkhart84 18 years, 6 months ago
what is the best image format which keeps the most color and lowest size? I normally use png but ive been told that bitmaps are much better but their size is ...
Advertisement
Best format for development is probably TGA. You get an independent alpha channel for transparencies.

Deployment format is usually the DDS formats (DXTn). Many card suport them natively. PNG is also a good choice.

Luck!
Guimo
Jpeg is best for putting images on the web cause of their good quality, small file size and wide support. but they are lossy

Png is lossless and best used as an intermeidate image format but not good for putting images on the web cause its file sizes are large

Gif good for animation but crappy for pictures of people

MNG good for animation but not widely supported

DDS best texture format
I'd have to say that PSD is the best development format, because of its ability to maintain layers (don't know about PSP users, since I haven't used PSP in ages, but GIMP/Photoshop anyway)

Though, I suppose that doesn't cover the "size" issue, since they're rather large ;) If you don't need an alpha channel, I'd say PNGs
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
Hey,

I'd have to put my vote to PNG/MNG. Or at least PNG. PNG pwns other static image formats IMO.

The only problem with MNG is that it's not particularly well supported [and difficult to extract individual sub images from, because of the flexibility inside the format].

PNGs will usually [almost always] beat equivelent .gif files on size, and will always [except in special, devised cases] beat equivelent bitmaps. They can be lossless [like bitmaps] (or not lossless), and may contain an alpha channel. Similarly, AFAIK, you can use almost any number of bits for colour channels [like 16 bit alpha, w00t], contain colour display information [like gamma settings, w00t], maintain layers [like psd] and easily compress the format.

In addition, they can be progressive across 2 dimensions [so unlike gifs, you can extract basic information more easily].

The additional plusses that MNG would get in my eyes is that a PNG is a one frame MNG animation, you can define complex animation [ie scrolling, movement, etc] and put JNG [basically jpeg compressed images?] subpictures into the animation stream.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you're using Photoshop, keep in mind that the default exporter is horrible, size/qualitywise. But fortunately there are compression tools out there to reduce the size of your PNGs without changing anything [or anything significant]...

--CJM
I'm a little curious about this one...is DDS portable?
well .dds is the bestfro game and 2d games. it satys compressed while even in the video memory, has a similar compression rate to .jpg's, image quality of bitmaps (if you choose the correct compression), and it supports i think 4 different types of alpha usage in an image. .jpg's work fine too if you have no alpha cannel required in your image. .tga is just too large for 256x256 and 512x 512 textures but does allow uage of alpha channels. .psd is good but is useless for game devs. .png's are ok, great when being not compressed but when you are compressing it you'll loose image quality fast. .gif is ok for animations but if you try to make the texture/image acceptably large in res you'll get a rather large file increase fast.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by nes8bit

UT2003/4 used DDS compression for everything and it's on Mac and Linux.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Quote:Original post by nes8bit

Effectively, yes. The compression algorithms might not be supported by a given OS, but they're certainly supported by the video card. Using a DDS file as a texture in, say, OpenGL is pretty much just a matter of reading in information from the header, then shoving large chunks of the remainder of the file into glCompressedTexImageARB.

Now, that's not to say that Microsoft won't do something crazy with the DDS format with future versions of DirectX. It's just like them to pull something like that. But current DDS files work jes' fine.
To answer the original question: I use PSD for working versions of all image assets, and export to DDS for use in the engine. IMHO, it's a bad idea to use anything but DDS for final data, since you don't have full control over the compression, and it's a bad idea to use DDS for working versions since you will experience progressive quality degradation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement