• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Serenade

Who needs TurboCache and HyperMemory?

This topic is 4823 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How much do TurboCache and HyperMemory boost GPU's access to system memory? I mean, since the speed boost is mainly caused by PCIE, why do we need TC and HM? The trouble about TC and HM is, they allocate system memory without any external accessing interface. The 3D API knows nothing about them, thus double system memory must be kept to support efficient modification without locking. We know that system backup of resources are usually created to faciliate use of video memory. But since now some of these video memory are already in system mem, waste occurs. What I suggest is to drop the driver memory allocating technique. Improving bus transfer speed is the right way to go.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You do realize that TC and HM are techniques for making cheap crappy video cards? They're not the cutting edge. They're ultra-low-budget, basically nothing more than an evolution of integrated graphics.

I thought they are kind of new trend. Nvidia and ATI seem to be claiming that.

Besides, AGP memory falls into the same trouble.

Quote:
Original post by Serenade

Of course they're claiming that. You can own a GeForce 6 with Shader 3.0 and HDR, and however many dozens of buzzwords they've managed to pack onto the box for $50 now. It sounds like an absolutely amazing deal on paper.

In reality of course, it's the absolute bottom end of what they're selling. In some sense it's even worse than the FX 5200.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
Quote:
Original post by Serenade

Of course they're claiming that. You can own a GeForce 6 with Shader 3.0 and HDR, and however many dozens of buzzwords they've managed to pack onto the box for $50 now. It sounds like an absolutely amazing deal on paper.

In reality of course, it's the absolute bottom end of what they're selling. In some sense it's even worse than the FX 5200.
Cool, I'll stick with my FX 5200 then![lol]

Technically speaking, is there anything good with TC and HM? You can of couse add them to GF6800 if they are really something.

I want to verify my understanding in my first post.

DirectX will report 256 MB local video ram on a 6200TC with 128MB onboard, same for X300SE. Since PCIE bandwidth (x16) is comparable to local bandwidth on a decent vid card, this works out well. The only problem is, you dont have control over how much system ram is used by the vid card - seems fixed.

Both of the above mentioned cards far outclass the lame 5200. I actually get pretty good performance from these cards in rFactor, given that they have alot fewer pipes. IMO, I think these cards are a pretty good way to get people off integrated graphics, since they are typically used as a low-cost upgrade on a lot of Dell and other big oem desktops.

Nvidia just introduced the 6100 IGP which I think OEMs will sell and claim "gaming performance" to entice people. I remember seeing the 32meg TC card outperforming the 128mb I think TC card. That was weird. The TC cards came out so that IHVs could save costs on local memory. Most of that junk is put into office boxes anyways. Gamers tend to buy in the $100 and up range. That's why the decent 6600 gaming card is in that price range.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

You can of couse add them to GF6800 if they are really something.

The best analogy for that would be sticking a horse inside a car, it won't make it go faster, in fact, it may make it go slower.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!