• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Talib

Stupid L"" and WCHAR question

This topic is 4749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, man I feel stupid asking a simple question like this. But I can't figure it out. If I do this it works fine: WCHAR wcTest[1] = L""; But when I do this: WCHAR wcTest[1]; wcTest = L""; or WCHAR wcTest[1]; wcTest[1] = L""; I get a conversion error on VC++ 6. Why does this not work and can someone show me the correct way. Thanks Talib

Advertisement
WCHAR wcTest[1] = L""; declares a WCHAR array with one element. Since you can initialize char and wchar arrays with strings, this works.

In the second example you declare a one element WCHAR array, then you try to assign a string to it. Since strings are essentially pointers, you can't do this other than at initialization. In fact, you can't do someArray = someVariable at all, since it would have no meaning. What is to be assigned? The first element? All elements?

In the third example, you once again declare the one element array and then try to assign the string L"" (which, as I previously pointed out, is in fact a pointer) to the second element of the one element array (remember, arrays start counting from 0). Since wcTest[1] is a WCHAR array, you can only assign other WCHARs to it without an explicit conversion. Additionally, when writing to the second element of a one element array you're overstepping the array's bounds, which is pretty likely to overwrite other variables.

Now, to copy a string into a WCHAR array after the array has been declared you'd use wcsncpy (or perhaps wstrncpy with MSVC6):
const int ARRAY_LENGTH = 20;
WCHAR wcTest[ARRAY_LENGTH]; // Declare a WCHAR array big enough to hold our string
wcsncpy(wcTest, L"Hello WCHAR!", ARRAY_LENGTH); // Copy "Hello WCHAR!" to wcTest, making sure we don't overwrite the array bounds by accident

EDIT: I fail at text formatting.

Thanks

I remember reading stuff about arrays being pointers etc somewhere. I guess the info didn't stick.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!