• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ChenA

About beam tree.

This topic is 4653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been looking for information on Beam Tree creation and usage as described in the article "Fine Occlusion Culling Algorithms", but it seems there is zero info Available on the Internet( other than this article ). Who can give me a link detailed explain the beam tree? Thanks.

Advertisement
Hi,

If i remember well there is an excellent explanation of beam trees in The Graphics Programming Black Book by Michael Abrash (praise that man).

This book is downloadable in pdf from a variety of places (legally) including here
I think that description is toward the end of the book. Anyway it's a must read (at least the second half).

Regards,

Philippe

i have read a paper <Beamtrees : Compact Visualization of Large Hierarchies> recently. and i think the beamtrees algorithm is about organizing files for Visualization. i don't know the theory is same as above. if it is,who is the first to provide this theory? i am confused.....if you know,please tell me .thank you .

A beam Tree is a screen space tree construct during rendering. The render is made with a 3D bsp tree wich allow a perfect front to back rendering. Each time you render a polygon, you add the edge in a 2D bsp (the beam tree) and you note wich leaf is "full". Next time you render a polygon, you verify that it not appears in a "full" leaf of the beam tree. Note² that you need a perfect front to back rendering obtainable with a quake like bsp.

It's near the occlusion map in a way..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!