• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jollyjeffers

Direct3D Presentations from the PDC 2005 Conference

This topic is 4743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just posted this in my journal, but after doing that I thought it might well be of interest to the wider community (a.k.a. you guys)... It seems that a lot of presentations (not sure if it's all of them) from the recent "Professional Developer Conference 2005" (PDC05) have been posted here. Have a look through the list - there's quite a lot of information in there, if you can be bothered to find it.. Be warned that the page seems to auto-refresh every minute or so, which resets the scrolling position in my browser. A bit annoying as it's a pain to scroll back down to where you were... [rolleyes] Anyway. The following two presentations will be of interest to people here:
  1. PRS311 Direct 3D Part 1: Utilizing the Maximum Power of the GPU in Your Graphic-Intensive Windows Vista ("Longhorn") Application
  2. PRS416 Direct 3D (Part 2): Deep Dive into Building Real Time Graphics Applications Using Direct 3D
I've not read part-1 yet, but part-2 had a fair few bits and pieces regarding the new features of Direct3D 10 and the changes to the graphics pipeline. Enjoy! Jack

Advertisement
Sweet, hopefully this clears up a lot of questions that people have been confused about. I'm reading the 2nd one right now, and it seems pretty good. I do have a pretty bad habit of downloading all the conference presentations and never reading them, so I'm off to a good start this time [smile]

That looks pretty good. I'm still not sure what the shared handle is for exactly, what does it mean that you can "re-open" a resource using the shared handle?

Edit: Omgomgomg, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT surfaces are never lost! Yay!

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve

I second that. Although, considering how I am setting things up right now, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference...

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
That looks pretty good. I'm still not sure what the shared handle is for exactly, what does it mean that you can "re-open" a resource using the shared handle?

Shared resources are useful for sharing textures, vbs, etc.. across process boundaries. Not a common scenario for most games but extremely useful if you have (say) a desktop compositing engine that wants to share a texture (backbuffer) with another process' windows canvas. There are other interesting uses for this but they are generally related to producer/consumer roles for data.

Paul

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!