• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
XVampireX

List of Effects?

This topic is 4828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I would like to know all the different kind of effects available in programming. By effects I mean all the kinds of shaders and everything in between. And If possible, a brief description of what they do. Thanks.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by XVampireX
Hi, I would like to know all the different kind of effects available in programming. By effects I mean all the kinds of shaders and everything in between.
And If possible, a brief description of what they do.

Thanks.

All of them? Ok, imagine all possible (valid) permutations of the shader scripting language, and you'll get the idea.

Hi

I know you're from Israel and might not have English as a first langauge, no offence, but I think people are finding your question a little unclear.

Have you read about the Direct3D Effect framework? The SDK docs are good, and the samples would help you with effect files.

A basic overview:

You render with an effect using a technique; the technique contains one or more passes. I've never used more than one pass in a technique so don't worry about them if you're just starting out.

In the pass you can set fixed-function render states, and unless you're programming for ancient hardware, you'll want to set a vertex shader and a pixel shader.

For more details, run EffectEdit, go to open, and have a look at the sample effects, they're quite well commmented. Fiddling with them is probably a good way to lean!

Hope that helped [smile]

Huh? How is my question unclear?

Ok, so I'll try to make it easy for those who don't understand: All I want is a basic _overview_ of what every effect does in graphics programming.

Your request is unclear for the same reason that the following request is unclear: "Provide a basic overview of what every program in programming does".

That sounds like enumerating the entries of a dictionnary.
Added to that, that there are certainly a lot of cool effect that nobody yet figured out.

Phil

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Your request is unclear for the same reason that the following request is unclear: "Provide a basic overview of what every program in programming does".

Want an example?

Bump Mapping - Allows to create bumps on textures as if giving them depth.

This is one example of an effect listed. So I just wanna know what every effect does, and by effect I mean Graphical Effect, Special Effects, whatever you want to call it.

And it's not my fault you have problems understanding my questions, I'm even providing you with an example now... If you don't get that one, then it's beyond me.

You still don't seem to be getting it. There is no fixed list of "effects". There are techniques such as bump-mapping that are commonly used, of course. But even "bump-mapping" is really just a general term for a large class of algorithms--dot3 bumpmapping, parallax mapping, deep parallax mapping, normal mapping, etc. And each one of these examples is itself a general term with an infinite number of variations.

"Color everything blue, except for areas where the specular contribution is less than the diffuse contribution; color those areas red." There: I just made up a new effect to add to the list. "Invert the depth test for particle systems". There's another one. "Draw an octagon." There's another one. Are you seeing yet how it would be silly to try to come up with a comprehensive list?

Quote:
Original post by XVampireX
[...]And it's not my fault you have problems understanding my questions, I'm even providing you with an example now... If you don't get that one, then it's beyond me.
It's not that people aren't understanding you; it's that you aren't understanding us. We're telling you that such a compilation is near impossible. There are just so many "graphical effects" that it will take far too long to list them all, and by the time you're done there will be new "graphical effects" created that you will have to then add to that list. There are many lists of some algorithms. To find those, you should be asking Google, not us.

EDIT: Sneftel said it better.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!