• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vidalsasoon

another bloom and downsampling question :(

This topic is 4744 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working in debug mode with output on max. I'm getting no errors. My bloom process has 4 passes. I only want to try the first pass which is the "Downsample" pass to see if things are working nicely. Now when I render this 1st pass I assume I should be seeing a pixelated image since the downsample pass should be making my rendertarget 4x smaller. What i'm getting instead is a faded image still at it's original size. It looks like my bloom effect is expecting: VS_OUTPUT_DOWNSAMPLE VS_Downsample(float4 Position : POSITION,float2 TexCoord : TEXCOORD0) My vertex declaration is sending a Vector4 followed by a Vector2. Although the bloom effect is expecting a float4 and a float2 I think this is OK. Any ideas appreciated. V.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by vidalsasoon
VS_OUTPUT_DOWNSAMPLE VS_Downsample(float4 Position : POSITION,float2 TexCoord : TEXCOORD0)

My vertex declaration is sending a Vector4 followed by a Vector2. Although the bloom effect is expecting a float4 and a float2 I think this is OK.

As long as your sizeof(Vector4)==sizeof(float)*4 and sizeof(Vector2)==sizeof(float)*2, then what you're doing is fine.

I suspect your problems lie in the vertex shader code itself or the code driving the vertex shader. If you use the debug D3D runtime and the debug D3DX library, then usually one of them will complain if the stride of the data in your vertex stream is different to what the shader is expecting or doesn't pass the required data.

It's impossible to be of any more assistance without more information about what your shaders are doing or seeing some actual code.

I've been trying to get this f*cking bloom to work for 3 weeks and I finally made progress.

My light source was never blocked so i'de always get my entire screen washed out in a uniform color.

I decided to add some garbage between me and the light source to see the flicker... well there was a flicker all right. as soon as i passed directly into the light my whole scene would fade in and out.

it was kinda working all along :P

yes im stupid.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!