• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
njpaul

What can I do with shaders 1.1

This topic is 4653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My graphics card was top of the line when I got it, but now I suppose it's about average. It is limited to shader models 1.1. Can anyone point out what you can't do with 1.1 that you can do in the newer graphics cards?

Advertisement
You can actually accomplish a substantial amount with only vs/ps 1.1, if you are skilled at writing ASM or HLSL shaders. You have to understand what the limitations of the model are and how to get around them. Remember that you can render complex shaders through multiple passes. For example, whereas vs/ps 2.0 can dynamically light each vertex with 2-4 lights, you may only be able to get 1 or 2 with vs/ps 1.1. If you really need it though, you can add those additional lights in subsequent passes.

Of course, you can only do so much. For example, many of the new cool things in the DXSDK are out of 1.1's league. Either upgrade, or scale it back.

I am still using vs & ps 1.1 for all of my effects in my game, although that may change going forward.

I have been able to do per-pixel lighting, shadowing, post processing etc, although it takes more work than ps.2.0.

I have more info in my journal linked below.

Thanks for the replies. I am pretty good at assembly programming. I figure I'll upgrade my graphics card when the new Windows comes out, and just build a whole new computer. Need something to do in the meantime though.

Quote:
Original post by njpaul
Thanks for the replies. I am pretty good at assembly programming. I figure I'll upgrade my graphics card when the new Windows comes out, and just build a whole new computer. Need something to do in the meantime though.

If you want a rough idea about what's possible with 1.1 shaders, take a look at some Xbox games! - Xbox is effectively shader 1.1, and most of the shader extensions in that are just to save instruction slots - there are some other hardware differences on Xbox so not everything is possible on a 1.1 PC, but most things are.

For vertex shaders, I'd start with HLSL and possibly optimise the assembly output if the compiler did something dumb (it usually does a good job of optimising vertex shaders); for 1.1 pixel shaders, I'd use assembly from the outset - the HLSL compiler isn't so good for 1.x shaders in my experience.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!