• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Endemoniada

Won't Run from Start-Run ?

This topic is 4654 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I'm using VC6 (SP5) and DirectX October 2004 on WinXP Pro (SP2) When I build my game (Release) and press the execute button in VC it's fine. But when I try to run it from Windows (Start->Run) it fails. What's going on ? Thanks.

Advertisement
By fails, I assume you mean doesn't start.

Is the shortcut in the startmenu set with the correct "start in" directory?
This is not the "release" directory of your project, but one level up from it. (well, in VS6 anyway)

Hi guys,

At firt I didn't make a shortcut. I tried to Run it from the Start Menu, so I clicked Start, then Run, then the Browse button and selected the .exe in the Release folder. It did that Send Error Report dialog box.

I guess that's a bad way to do it.

I just made a shortcut and the only way it will work is if I change "Start In" to the folder just above the Release one. If I didn't read what KulSeran wrote I never would have known to change that.

Thanks.

The problem is that you're loading resources (probably with D3DXLoadBlahFromFile). You can use the Win32 function GetModuleFileName() to get the full path to your EXE, and then strip off everything after the last forward/backslash, and use that as a path to load your data from.
Then you won't need to use the "start in" thingy.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!