• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CNBABY

problem about rendermonkey

This topic is 4652 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi. i have contacted RenderMonkey just for several days.i am very confusing for some things about it.i think this software only provide a platform to use shader language.yes or no ? and can i use .rfx files in my applications directly? if i can,how to do ? if not, i only recompile my shader in my applications,yes or no? if you know,could you help me? please..... thanks for your any help. ps: if you will,please provide some web site about it for me .thank you very very much.

Advertisement
I beleive that render monkey is just a tool for creating HLSL shaders. I beleive you will need to take the HLSL shader you created in rendermonkey, and then use it in your DirectX application by compiling it in your application, your application will also need to setup all the textures and render targets that your shader requires.

I haven't heard of a way to directly use .rfx files in your application.

Goodluck, and please let me know if I'm wrong :)

the rfx file is not made to be used in your program. It is just something rendermonkey uses to store th descriptionof your effect. It's to rendermonkey what a solution is to visual studio if you prefer.

When you want to use your effect with DirectX, you just have to export a .fx file. Now your aplication has to implement all the mecanisms that are in the treeview on the let. Set shaders parameters, set textures, create and set rendertargets etc...

EDIT: Google the msdn for fx files, the fx framework and the ID3DXEffect interface.

digression...
note that when Rendermonkey will provide fx file that are annoted with DXSAS (DirectX standard semanic and annotation) and that you implement that standard there will be nothing more to do. I just hope directX 10 will come with assisted DXSAS execution as a feature.

Philippe

Hi there,

Rendermonkey is only for creating Vertex & Pixel-Shaders, both with Assembler or HLSL. The rfx Format is clear XML Text, that you can use by yourself. It's true that you can export your work as fx-files BUT those exported files are buggy so don't wonder if you encounter some problems by using them ;)

If you want to learn more about shader programming using RenderMonkey (which is a very good step to start with) then you should get a copy of the following book: "Shaders For Game Programmers And Artists"
If you want to dive deeper into shader programming then the following book will give you a good starting point: "Microsoft DirectX9 Programmable Graphics Pipeline"

Have fun and good luck in exploring the future

Shaders rulez

Greetings
Codex

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!