GLSL Books

Started by
1 comment, last by noisecrime 18 years, 6 months ago
Sorry for posting this, it might've been posted before but I couldn't find any on it. I'd like to know if you guys recommend any books on GLSL, or tutorials, thanks guys!
Advertisement
*points at Forum FAQ*
I've recently got hold of the orange book (GLSL) (see the faq), not read it thouroghly, but on the whole it looks like the prefect introduction to GLSL.

Alas for myself it was a let down as i'd already been able to gather much of the information held within from tutorials, book chapters, these forums, and the opengl.org forums. Luckily I got it from the library, I think I would have been disappointed had I bought it for the above reason.

Be aware the book comes without a CD or source code (you can find that on the authors site as free downloads), it also looks like a second edition is due soon too.

If you've only heard of GLSL and know nothing about it, then i'd definately recommend the book as it should get you up to speed far quicker than all the browsing I had to.

Perhaps its biggest failing to me was the failure to include the essential tangent/binormal generation that is required for normalmapping. I know there are a number of functions on the net that do this, but my understanding is most of them (including from ATI or Nvidia) are borked. It would have be nice to have had a good explanation and some source code to plug and play with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement