• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AlbertoT

Authoring systems

This topic is 4646 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Authorings systems such as 3DGameStudio supplies an integrated level builder and light mapper. Well. "integration" most of the times means poor quality . However, in this specific case , any benefits over specialized tools ? My favourite are CS and Giles Thanks

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by mecha
More than 99.9% of us can afford.

Muahahaha
Indeed.

When you say "In this specific case", do you refer to 3DGameStudio?
Whatever it might be, as hplus0603 mentioned before, the Unreal Engine provides "integrated" level editors and such, and they aren't sucky at all.
IMHO, I think in the end it depends on how comfortable your 3D modellers feel towards the product (If you are the common solo joe, then an integrated suite will provide a good cost relation, opossed to what it could cost to license any AAA -specialized- suite, namely Maya or 3DSMax). Another example is the integrated tools for Serious Sam (dont know if you are familiar with the game). Though based on simple screenies, seems like a great portion of the game media (if not all) was developed using their in-house tools.

I think you must stablish your goals, and then decide if in the long run integrated tools will suffice, or it might be a good idea to use an specialized one.
I wont go further since I dont wannna get offtopic, given the fact I dont know for sure where are you heading with your question.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!