3DS skeletons

Started by
2 comments, last by darookie 18 years, 6 months ago
hi there, any idea how (or if) skeleton/bone data is stored inside a 3DS file or where i can find that out? also, if you know where i can download some 3DS models with skeletons inside them and animation to try it out with my program? btw it is a program for 3d internet worlds so it would be good to import animated figures into it. thanx.
Advertisement
I dont think 3ds has skeletal animation... I believe it's keyframed, but I can be wrong thou... :/
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
what is keyframing exactly and how does it work?
Keyframing means that file stores a snapshot of the model for a number of "key" frames. In essence the transformed model vertices are stored for these keyframes.
To get a smooth animation you will interpolate vertices between two keyframes.

While it's much simpler to display animations this way, storing an animation using keyframing isn't very efficient or flexible. Sub-animations for example require the model to be split into parts (like Quake2 models) to enable separate lower- and upper parts. Skeletal animation has the advatage of just storing a set of "bones" (basically just transformation nodes) that are attached to a "skin" (or actual vertices). Animations can be stored separate from models and can also be blended (e.g. running while looking around). Unfortunately not many open formats support skeletal animations.

HTH,
Pat.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement