• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
yuppies

terrain optimazation,how?

This topic is 4651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi guys hi ive implemented a terrain, textured using tiles and blended using an alpha map computed at load time, and im using an a multi-pass multi-texturing with alphamaps on stage 0 and the texture on stage 1, but it seems like my terrain got slower than my first implementation. Any ideas on how to optimize my terrain? its implemented using a GMM terrain approach.

Advertisement
Without knowing anything about your code, it is difficult to make any useful recommendations on how to optimize it. Profile your application. Find out where all the time is being spent.

Anyhow, it is seems from your description that the number of draw calls might be a bottleneck. You can reduce the number of draw calls by combining all your passes in to a single pass and/or switching to a different LOD system. But if this is not the bottleneck, then this optimization is a waste of time.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Put the tiles in an octtree and do some frustrum culling.. it works for me :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!