• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Raeldor

Weapon tags in 3DS and other... best way?

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is the best way to do tagging (for weapon hold points etc.) in 3d studio and other 3d applications? Should I create a seperate polygon that is not rendered, or is there a better way? Thanks!

Advertisement
I don't think there's anything in the 3DS format that would allow this. However, you could create an object, with the name "Tag" (or similar), and make sure that it's always in the right place when you animate your mesh in the 3D program you're using.

Then when you load in your 3DS file, check to see if any of the objects in the 3DS file have the name Tag, and if so, then flag it as being the tag point for a weapon.

At work we use Maya markers and attatch them to the bones so that they move with them while animating. Our model export program keeps track of them. Surely Max has something similar.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!