• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GnuVince

Factor Programming Language

This topic is 4654 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello people, I just wanted to tell you about this nice new language called Factor. Factor is developped by Slava Pestov, a young programmer best-known for the jEdit editor he started writing when he was 14. Factor is an extremely interesting language with influences from Lisp, Joy and Forth. It has an extensible Postfix syntax, a pretty good native compiler. Check it out, it's very nice! For more information, read these two blog posts: Factor's History Factor's goals Let me know what you guys think of this little language.

Advertisement
I see a lot of it on the Planet Lisp RSS feed but I never investigated it. Have you tried it out? I'm reading over some of your links and it looks good. I may give it a try in the near future (and maybe hijack them to convince them partial evaluation is the future!!).

I haven't written anything substantial in it (mostly because the thing I would want to write requires regular expressions). However I did write things like map, sort, etc. You know, simple words. My biggest gripe with Factor is that since you mainly use the datastack for holding values, you end up having a lot of stack juggling to do. Of course, it could simply be because I don't quite "get" the whole concatenative model. i think that may be more it, because the people using Factor and Forth don't seem to have a problem with a stack, do they?

Quote:
Original post by GnuVince
I haven't written anything substantial in it (mostly because the thing I would want to write requires regular expressions). However I did write things like map, sort, etc. You know, simple words. My biggest gripe with Factor is that since you mainly use the datastack for holding values, you end up having a lot of stack juggling to do. Of course, it could simply be because I don't quite "get" the whole concatenative model. i think that may be more it, because the people using Factor and Forth don't seem to have a problem with a stack, do they?
I've never used a postfix language or Forth-style stack based language so I'm not sure. Obviously, some people get along with that style.

FWIW, people discuss this on #concatenatic on freenode.

[Edited by - flangazor on September 25, 2005 7:52:00 PM]

I know Slava said it took him a couple of weeks (he'd have sheets with stack diagrams on them), but that after a while, it becomes completely natural.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!