• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PouncingAnt

Flat vertex texture incompatibility

This topic is 4638 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm sorry for being short of time right now, thus there may be a lack of information here. The problem I'm concerned about is that when I try drawing 2d graphical user interfaces in Directx 9.0c with MS VC++ 2003 that my GUI appears as just rectangular blocks of colour, as though all the texture coordinates were 0. However, this only appears to happen on Radeon machines! It is somewhat annoying, since it is a severe limitation on distribution. Anyway, if you think you know what the prob might be already, then place your ideas here. If you need more info, just ask!

Advertisement
One thing that could do this immediately pops to mind... Make sure D3DRS_WRAPn are set to false. These change how coordinates work to a way that's not usually very useful. I'd expect this to affect all cards though, not just Radeons, but you never know.

I changed it to 1, to see what it would look like (theoretically) if it went wrong. Though, by doing this, instead of producing rectangles of one colour (like on my associates PC), it produces a striped pattern on textures. Also, unfortunately, it hasnt fixed the problem on the radeon machine.
EDIT: yes, i did remember to change it back to 0 afterwards ;)

Could it be that I had set all my rhw values to 0 (whoops)? Only I've read that one is supposed to always use a value of 1 to state they are using screen-space not model space. (or something similar).

I'll check this out asap anyway, though it requires me using someone else's PC, and they've gone out (typically)

Setting RHW to 0 is bad, as XYZ are divided by W, so you'll be getting lots of divide by 0 errors on the card, and who knows how it will behave.

Another thing to check. Are your texture stage's referring to a texture, but the texture is null? Some drivers return white for such a texture read, others abort the rest of the pixelshader or texture stages.

Is the texture too big? Radeons have a 2048 size limit, while GeForce's tend to allow upto 4096.

Right, I've ammended the little RHW bit. Thanks for explaining that further. The texture sizes are all OK, I'm only using the flat objects for a GUI, so there are no pieces bigger than 800x600, to allow (hopefully) for better compatibility.

I'm using an individual texture for each panel, so none of the panel's textures are null, and I'm only ever using 1 texture stage at present, so that shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for your help, I've still yet to test my latest build on a Radeon today. I should be able to later, I'll get some feedback then.

OK, I've not really got any further with this issue, mainly because I've not had a chance to test my code on a radeon machine.. So, if anyone would like see if they can get my Graphical User Interface working on their radeon machine, feel free to download a small demo I compiled for windows

www.moria.computerkb.co.uk/AHFrontiersDEMOv0.4.zip

EDIT: I'd like to point out it is the Radeon 9200 card that I am especially interested in, but any other cards would be interesting too..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!