• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
halo360

game programing

This topic is 4829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

whats a good programing language to learn for game programing?, i know c++ is good but what do i do for graphics? or bring graphics into it?

Advertisement
Pick a language, any langauge. C++ has lots of info on them, but if you're just starting programming then you would be a little better off starting with Python and Pygame. (google python).

If you are really set on moving to C++ quickly, I would suggest you start with Java. It is very similar but lacks some of C++'s harder features.

As for what you should use for graphics, you have lots of options. If you don't know what languages to use for games yet, then you shouldn't be worrying about graphics. Make some text games, and something with simple hand coded graphics (not sure how easy this is in C++/phyton or others, but Java is fairly easy)

Here would be a great place to start looking for info.
In general any programming language is going to allow you to create games. To do graphics you will need some sort of API (Application Programming Interface) that you will code with your language of choice. I reccomend that you read through everything in the link provided, as that will get you off to a great start.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!