Language Priority

Started by
1 comment, last by Sneftel 18 years, 6 months ago
I have been programming for nearly a year now, and have gotten comfortable with C++/C and C#, and now the general aspects of programming. From here on, I should be able to switch over to different languages with no trouble, and I want to, but I can't choose which language or languages to learn. Now I'm looking to have a career in programing, so the industry standard languages are obviously high on my priority list. So as of now, I plan to further study C++/C and C#, but need some guidance on what other languages to choose. So far I have a few below, and would like you to add more to the list, or tell me if the ones I have won't be used in the industry. Java Python ASM and then MASM Finish C/C++ and C# Not a big list, but hopefully it will grow with your comments. Thanks in advance for your guidance, and no offence, but if you have no idea what the hell your talking about, please don't give me advice that will only hold me back.
Advertisement
It's doubtful with just a years experience with programming you can switch over to different languages with no trouble. If all you've done is C, C++ and C# then it's likely that Lisp, Scheme or Standard ML will blow your mind.

Also, there's no such thing as finishing learning C++.

For a list of languages used in the industry you can try looking at this page.
If you're looking to expand your horizons and become a better programmer, go with Scheme and Smalltalk. If you're looking to pad your skillset with languages HR reps will recognize, your list is good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement