• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mafian

Cell Game Completed!

This topic is 4742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys! I just completed my first cell phone game! I was hoping some of you could try it out and let me know what you think. I programmed it with the Motorola RAZR V3 in mind, but I made the game very adaptable to other screen sizes. In order to download it, your phone must be able to access the net. To download it, browse your phone to "http://mafian.homelinux.net:8888/cell.wml". You will be able to download two things: PaddleBall and Test. You want to download Test, because paddleball is a cheap ass demo game that came with my phone SDK. Download Test. The game is not called Test, however. Its actually called Kick Up. The point of the game is to keep a bouncing ball airborne by pushing keys on the numpad that correspond to "punchers" on the screen. If the ball is overlapping a puncher when you strike it, it will pop the ball up again. Sure, the game may be easy if you use the same puncher more than once in a row, but your hit counter will only increase if you punch the ball with a puncher different than the one you used last. In other words, a hit is scored for using a puncher that wasnt used more than once in a row. Check it out guys, the game is FREE. The only cost to you is data transfer for internet access, but i bet you developers out there have that included in your plan anyway. Please post and let me know what you think! Also, make sure you enter my link EXACTLY. I had to route my site on port 8888 because my ISP blocked port 80.

Advertisement
Ok, i just realized that some of you may fear for your phone, downloading some random dudes application. I assure you its safe. If youd still rather be on the safe side, you can test my game with your emulator of choice by downloading the .jad, manifest, and .jar files at:

http://mafian.homelinux.net:8888/downloads/kickup.zip

actualy, you should probably post some screens for those that dont want to go through all the work and just want to see a fellow artists game.

hey not bad, this game could actually be fun playing on a mobile phone. it was kinda hard to playing on my laptop without a numpad. oh and people its safe :p

Congtadulations! I haven't been able to download it yet (problems with service), but i'm looking forward to seeing it. Check out the new Game Developer mag, the whole thing's centered around mobile game developement.

What size team did you have? Have you looked at brew? How did you handle porting?

Best of luck
--scgrn

Thanks vector! Yeah its hard to click the buttons using the mouse, I must have spent 7 dollars sending it to my phone everytime just because I thought it was easier to play on my device, lol.

scgm - Once you play the game it will be easy to tell that I had no team, lol. The game took a day or two for me, but the concept was so simple, it was easy to fully complete it in that amount of time (granted I worked literally ALL weekend, didnt see any sunlight). As far as porting goes, I realized that a game that doesnt implement any specialized device technology only has to account for changing screen sizes. Like i said, it was designed to play with the V3's screen size in mind, but the entire interface automatically scales itself according to the screen size its played on. I can guarentee that the interface wont look stretched or smushed when the screen size is similar to V3, but for very small displays you may have problems :-/. For large displays, I cant imagine you would have too many problems, the "punchers" will look very far apart but dont worry, their "punching radius" is big enough to fill the screen.

Enjoy!

Oh and BREW? Ive heard of it, yeah. It sounds more efficient than java, but I really dont know how to compile for BREW. Plus BREW programs only work on their target devices, right?

Your ngage? Let me think... so it crashes on install? not during the game? If it crashed during the game, I would have to think about my code and how it would affect an NGage (but i cant imagine how it would). But if it crashes on install... yeah I dont know what could cause that unless the NGage isnt a MIDP 2.0 device.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ngage is Midp1.0

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!