• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
joca235023

operative system

This topic is 4744 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i want to create games that when i turn the computer on it goes directily to the game not entering the operativ system is there any operative system that suports this.....

Advertisement
That used to be done in the old DOS system but unless you are going to write the video, sound, and input drivers for the game the operating system will need to be included.

You mean, like consoles work?
When you write games, you will make use of lots of features of the operating system. Writing software that handles all possible hardware configurations etc. itself will only make your job harder. I cannot think of a single reason to do this, so please enlighten me [smile].

Quote:
Original post by DaBono
I cannot think of a single reason to do this [smile].

Me neither, why would you want to do this? When the gamer quits the game and says "Hey, I feel like surfing the net now" or such like, they have to boot into their main OS anyway.

As IronGryphon says, you'll be practically writing your own operating (not operative) system just to handle the video and sound drivers etc.

An OS like Windows will do all this for you. Writing a game that can run independently of Windows means that you'll effectively be writing two projects (game and "OS" to run it on) when one of these is absolutely unnecessary.

Honestly, just use a normal OS like Windows - you'll at least halve the work you have to do.

HTH,

ukdeveloper.

Don't even think you can do anything more complex than simple text-based games if you're just starting from scratch. Making an OS is a huge and difficult issue :)

Your best bet is probably using an existing OS that lets you modify it enough, like some Linux-distros. Good luck anyway...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!