Toughest thing to program

Started by
67 comments, last by supercoder74 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Your logic is flawed; how do you know the universe certainly can hold a line?

And even if the universe can hold lines, the logic is still flawed. programwizard makes assumptions on the topology of the universe.

Consider the surface of a sphere (imagine a worm on an apple). Would you say it's infinite ? Definitively not. But it can hold a line between any of its two points, and appears inifinite to the worm. Same story with the surface of a tore, which is very different from the sphere.

Now, these are 2D examples, and our space appears to be 3D. But nothing prevents it to work in the same way (altough it's hard to mentally picture).
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Gorax
Imagine a space-based MMORPG that was based on the universe as we know it

Could I also land on earth, boot up a computer and read the latest gamedev threads?
Quote:Original post by Fred304
Quote:Original post by Gorax
Imagine a space-based MMORPG that was based on the universe as we know it

Could I also land on earth, boot up a computer and read the latest gamedev threads?

So that the forums can prevent me from playing video games as well as from making them? No thank you [grin]

CM
I would have to say AI like a human's intellegence. Not that ANN stuff, but something real.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Making a Program that learns and understands what it's doing.

Agreed, A simulation of an intelligent human complete with full speech capabilities(recognition included) and the ability to "see" and recognize things probably through some sort of camera is probably the hardest thing to program.
Lets see that.
Quote:Original post by Ced1
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Making a Program that learns and understands what it's doing.

Agreed, A simulation of an intelligent human complete with full speech capabilities(recognition included) and the ability to "see" and recognize things probably through some sort of camera is probably the hardest thing to program.
Lets see that.

Exactly what I mean, something that learns and know's what its doing.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Artifical Intelligence?
-Scott
hard to program

a program that responds and reacts with emotion to a user's input, via voice/touch/sight/and smell

although im not very specific, i do mean... emotion
not just some static response that comes back everytime you do something
and not just a random choice from a list of responses... either
--FirekingOwner/LeaderFiregames Development &Blackdragon Studios
another program that would be hard to write is a program that fixes most computer problems *and im not talking no junk like windoctor*
--FirekingOwner/LeaderFiregames Development &Blackdragon Studios
Just making a program that knows it's learned something would be extremely hard.

Of course this may be just a semantic problem related to definitions of "knows" and "learned"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement