What do you think of some of my level design work?

Started by
8 comments, last by M-Works 18 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I have some work that I have scratched up in about 30 minutes, and I would like you to comment on it. I do not have the best of textures, and Iwill try to upload the files as jpg once I get to my house. These are a little bit out of date since I just redid the light mapping and finished the level. The links are at http://www.gmadvanced.com/screens/screenie1.bmp and http://www.gmadvanced.com/screens/screenie2.bmp. They are for my FPS game that I have started to make. I am planning to try to find a publishing deal soon. Tell me what I should improve on them, and where I can find some better texture resources. I will post some more screens today in jpg format. M-Works
Advertisement
I like the layout and design, but the textures on the walls and ceiling seem tiled too many times for my taste.
well you maybe interested in our site once we get it up and running, go here to see a preview video, www.surrealtextures.com . and as for your level design, its ok but seems a bit bland. its good for a base-level layout (the start) but you need to add little objects here and there to spice things up.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Some better textures and some blemishes to make it a bit less sterile and you have a winner.
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
i think that you should add more objects to the scene so that the player will have a better idea about what the room is about - unless you're making a a game like quake or halo.
It looks good but I agree with that other guy, it looks too tiled. Maybe make your tiles bigger so it doesn't look so repetative.
Thanks for the comments. I figured the textures were kindof bland and tiled. I will be adding in objects soon, I just have to convert them to the correct format so I can place them in. This level has been in production for only a day now. I would be very interested in resources for textures, and I will be looking at that site that Jarrod gave me. I also found another site, limefly.net, that I will be looking into. If anyone could lend me a hand with the textures, that would be great. I have some other screens up now. They are as follows:

www.gmadvanced.com/screens/screenie4.bmp OR www.gmadvanced.com/screens/screenie4.jpg

I will have another up today, and I am currently adding in objects as we speak. Thank you very much for the comments.
M-Works,

It's hard to judge a level that has only been under development for a day. If you're in early stages of level design I would prefer to see hand-drawn diagrams and layouts for your level. Or even a rough 3D primitive representation of the level to get an idea of how everything connects together would be nice.

When I see screenshots like the ones you provided it's my natural instinct to judge the artistic aspects of the image rather than the design of the level. And at this point it's not really fair for me to judge the artistic aspects of your level when you really haven't had the chance to develop them yet. It's also difficult to determine the layout or "design" of the level from screenshots of single rooms/areas.

Textures aside, the design seems rather simplistic, but I imagine that will change when you begin to add more objects to the scene. I would suggest posting some updates in a week or two when the level is more developed and it will be easier to critique.

I don't mean to sound negative. I just think that it's hard to evaluate something that is only a day in the works.
By the way, what editor are you using? Is it proprietary?

Good Luck
-Matt
Me again.

I just saw the last image you posted and it was more along the lines of what I expected. I'm refering to the overview image of all the halls and rooms. More images like these would be helpful in analyzing the level design.
I mean that this level has only been worked on for a days worth of work (10 to 12 hours now). Thanks for the comment engineererdivision, because I will try to post more images like that from now on. I am currently modeling a few objects to put into the levels, and I will have some pics of those in a few days. For now, I will be uploading a pic later today or tomorrow of an alien/daemon hideout and a few more halls, and maybe a dinning hall or a royal futuristic room. Hope you enjoy the pics, M-Works.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement