developing wireless games

Started by
5 comments, last by PurpleAmethyst 18 years, 7 months ago
i'm learning how develope some demo for cellphones. But i need a IDE as Visual Studio to write my code and debug. What i can use? For now i use Notepad for the code and K Toolkit for debug.
Advertisement
I went through the same headache as you. Using notepad and an SDK forces you to rely on some nutty batch files to compile everything. Plus you have to manage your manifest files and .jad files yourself. Its a big mess.

Fortunately, Sun has a Wireless Toolkit that is VERY helpful when it comes to all this. Get it here:

http://java.sun.com/products/sjwtoolkit/download-2_2.html

Dont be confused, this kit doesnt have a source file editor. Source files should be created using notepad (I use VStudio, it has pretty colors). When you run KToolbar, you will get a small window. This is your project manager. If you want to make a new coding project, choose "New project..." on the toolbar. This option will set up a project directory for you. This directory will show up in your "apps" directory under the WTK directory. When this is set up, all you have to do is open your project directory and:

-Drop your source files in the "src" folder.
-Drop any resources in the "res" folder.
-Hit "Build" in your project manager.
-Hit "Project->Package->Create Package" in the project manager.
-Hit Run.

Your program is compiled, any errors are in the console, and if everything was successful, an emulator pops up with your app.

Open one of their demos for an applet skeleton, it will save time getting started.
KA-BOOM!
Oops... did you say youre already using KToolkit? heh... yeah, well, for any other user that wants a good way to get started... there ya go!
KA-BOOM!
yes friend i mean i need a software as visual studio to write the code inside and debug without notepad.
Does it exist?
For editing your files

Eclipse: http://www.eclipse.org

And a J2ME plugin for Eclipse

Eclipse ME: http://www.eclipseme.org

As far as debugging is concerned it more a case of using System.out.println to watch your varibles and branching code as the method trace in WTK is practically unusable (slows thing to a crawl) and varible watching is almost non exsitent.

i've downloaded eclipse and plugin, what is the difference between java midlet and java midlet suite?
After i've create a project suite, what i've to do?
How can i debug?

what is netbeans?

[Edited by - Say on September 26, 2005 5:54:30 AM]
I've never used NetBeans I think it is just another IDE from Sun, Eclipse is the de facto for JAVA development. Read the docs of Eclipse and EclipseME, they explain how it all works. I'm sorry but I don't have time to explain it all to you. Just use J2ME Midlet. The EclipseME docs tell you how to debug, but the interface is not very nice. Also look up Ant and Antenna, the Ant preprocessor will allow you to put debug ifdefs in your code, not very neat, but the easiest way at the moment to debug J2ME.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement