Space RPG/MMORPG - Need Ideas!

Started by
15 comments, last by Fournicolas 18 years, 6 months ago
CONCEPT Hello there gamedev. This is my first post so please don't flame me (un-neccessarily :D). I'm working on a RPG/MMORPG idea at the moment. The basic idea is of a selection of different races to be chosen from, each being born on a different planet in a huge galaxy of players. I want the game to focus (but not entirely) on space flight/combat, but for them to have to progress financially to enable space flight. Ie. I want the player to start off on a planet, make money with a JOB (not killing mobs) or doing quests/errands, and eventually be able to buy a spaceship and make money in the galaxy. OTHER IDEAS I would like the player to be able to choose their destiny in space, ranging from being a combat fighter mercenary to being a freighter working for a inter-galactic corporation. Flying around in space and completing exams would increase a flying skill which would in turn get you better job opportunities and chance to explore. A small amount of time on the planet before heading out to space, ie. that an experienced player could do in 2/3 hours. Ability to land on other planets and speak to people from other races, making friends and buisness deals. (But not much opportunity to stay on-world). A unique radio system, upon purchase of a spaceship you have a radio, in which you can only speak to your own planet, with a list of commands, listed in a handbook you also recieve. Ie. "Coming in to land." or "I need backup!" Upon meeting other players in space you can recieve their frequency, eg. 222.ahg-090 in which you may chat to that player. More exploration = more players to chat to = bigger opportunitites. A unique pvp system, players may only attack other enemy player ships in their own airspace. Also, a FFA pvp area, (asteroid belt) in which players may gang up to prey on passing merchants or have 'friendly' dogfights. A realistic HUD. Upon entering a spaceship your screen becomes lights, switches and buttons, only bars etc on HUD. An ability to explore in a range of vessels all over the universe. Eg. Scout Ships cannot be fired upon, merchant ships are slow and can be targeted, fighter ships can be hired to protect another player through an area of space. (Basically every player needs each other, a merchant and fighter can make a deal to exchange protection for fuel etc.) So there's my idea. I have numerous other concepts of how this game is going to work, if you want to speak to me email: justloseyourself@hotmail.co.uk I know this is ambitious and I have no skills whatsoever, I just want feedback on my idea's. Thanks Animal Mother
Advertisement
By the way, I have much more ideas on races, ships, maps etc. If you feel you need more information just say so and I will post some more :)
the design document alone would take years to write up. Nice idea though.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
I think having a 2-3 hour intro that doesn't involve space flight, for a game that is largely based around space flight, would annoy most people, including myself. I would at least suggest that while stuck on the planet, the majority of the time is spent flying around near the ground, so that they're at least flying, even if it isn't actually in space. If all they were doing was running around talking to people, trading items for a profit, etcetera, they'd probably start wondering, "Where's the space flight", and would give up before they even made it into space. Now if a major component of the game was trading, and a good portion of one's time was spent on the planent surface, travelling from one merchant to another, this wouldn't be as bad. People enter the game, expecting to be doing intra-planet trading as well as inter-planet trading. Thus when the games starts off with just intra-planet trading, they're not wondering why they're doing something for two hours that isn't a major part of the game, because what they're doing is a major part of the game.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Hehe thanks. I decided to post more ideas I have.

RACES

Rather than stick with traditional RPG/MMORPG designs, I decided to really make alien races....more...alien. :D Therefore I came up with these races.
(No names yet!)

RACE No. 1 - The Strong Desert Tribe

Born in a sandy planet towards the edge of the galaxy, the desert tribe are an orangey race with spikey heads and four arms :D. They are best at heavy lifting, fighting and are generally the 'Strong' character. Although strong they are hard to play without finding a team, and space opportunities are rare. To get a job, desert folk have to be lucky, or visit taverns on their planet to look for employment.

RACE No. 2 - The Civilised Race

The civilised race is a good starting race, you would start off in a city with plenty of financial prospects and job opportunities. Good pilots, this race would get early access to spacecraft and quick reflexes make them ace pilots. I was thinking of a human-like appearance, probably thin and wiry.

RACE No. 3 - The Enslaved Race

This race would start off in a swampy/forest world and would soon be taken into slavery by an NPC (part of storyline). Once taken into slavery they are bought and sold between players, doing chores, cooking and cleaning spaceships for money. Although a quite embarassing race to play, they would make money fast and be treated well, opportunities for escape would also be quite (but not too) frequent.

RACE No. 4 - The Merchants/Traders

Born on a huge space station, the merchant/trader race must buy and sell goods to earn enough for a spaceship, once rich enough they can be employed by a NPC company to deliver goods and so-forth. The merchants are vulnerable to attack but are quite rich, could hire fighter pilots for protection. A hard race to play.

Although your destiny is almost 'mapped-out' I would hope it would be easy to choose your own destiny. (A slave becoming captain of a huge vessel through quick thinking, a civilised pilot enslaved etc.)
Good point agony, give as much feedback as you can spare :D
In relation to the posts about patriotism, I hope that the characters upbringing and racial seperation would make them fight for their race, tell racist jokes about aliens in bars etc.
How will COmbat work?
Ummm, I was thinking real-time dogfighting, from a cockpit style view, with the option of external camera views. (Quite similar to flight simulator)
About that design sheet, how would I go about making one of those??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement