This is how you raise your children...

Started by
18 comments, last by necreia 18 years, 6 months ago
Ages 11+? Not that I think younger people would be able to benefit more from outrageous analogies and a pretense of entertainment, but I think that this is meant to apply to the same audience that could learn programming without something like this. I think the fact is that the only thing that can teach programming, is, well, programming, which is why a game like this can only really apply to the audience that could learn programming without the addition of other pointless things. Perhaps concepts can be better presented by eliminating arbitrary specifics of a language, but this game fails in that sense also, if only by having "int main()" on the box.

Quote:Yes, yes you should. We have a lot of fun in there.

Huh. Why does the word "there" keep giving me the impression of something having been erased from my brain? I keep seeing images of a fat kid running in circles and cats. Oh well.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Advertisement
now, it's very early in the morning but here, why does 'if(x < 3) got to a switch(x) statement with a case 1: if it's false...? Am I missing something here..?
I believe you do not stop on every square.

switch(x) {
case 1:
x+6;
2*x;
if(x==3) { ...}
[...]
}

doesn't make much sense either. Also, why are they using == if they aren't using the assignation operator
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Quote:Original post by xMcBaiNx
I believe you do not stop on every square.

switch(x) {
case 1:
x+6;
2*x;
if(x==3) { ...}
[...]
}

doesn't make much sense either. Also, why are they using == if they aren't using the assignation operator

Got it.

I have to say that I would think forcing programming on a poor little 11 year old could put him of programming more than it would turn him on to it... I say let him play with a computer connected to the internet for a while...maybe leave some books lying around the house...let him discover it himself, that's how I learnt and I'm not sure I would enjoy it so much if someone had forced it onto me...
Quote:Original post by Matt
Quote:Original post by SHilbert
Quote:[lol] I should visit #gamedev more often.

Yes, yes you should. We have a lot of fun in there.

Uh.. yeah.. #gamedev!

*searches for CClient CD*

Yeah dude #gamedev is awesome

(What's #gamedev?)
Uh yeah. #gamedev. [rolleyes]
Skiing and snowboarding is a perfect programming analogy.
Quote:Original post by Lode

Only because the first times you try programming or the others you are pretty much guaranteed a crash :P
Quote:
The game is based on the code of a real computer program!

lol, this game will surely educated a lot of adults as well!
Quote:Original post by ChaoticCanuck
Quote:Original post by Lode

Only because the first times you try programming or the others you are pretty much guaranteed a crash :P

[lol]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement