Playing Video FIles with SMPEG

Started by
8 comments, last by Hodgman 12 years, 1 month ago
Ok since I've always seen this question come up quite a lot of the past year, and no one has been able to find out how to do this on the Windows platform, I've written a complete tutorial for all you guys and gals that need to play MPEG files with SDL. Online Tutorial Word Document Fairly straight forward, I tried to explain everything for even a beginner at SDL. It is assumed though you do have expeirence with SDL and C++. If anyone runs into any troubles with it, let me know of what I can fix. Just be aware of the license SMPEG uses before you use it and distribute it. Enjoy! Screenshots: Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us BTW - the quality shown is of the actual trailer itself, it was made to look that way, so don't think the quiality for all are bad. It's actually really good, and if you got a different file to use, you'll see what I mean. Oh and I made a mistake I will fix, it's HitMan 4, not 3 that I used.
Quote:Original post by Eitsch nice - amazing!!! your complete package is not available but it does nto matter.
Thanks for pointing that out, I will be working on updating everything soon, so for the time being, you can get the complete package here 12-20-05: Links fixed in both documents now [Edited by - Drew_Benton on December 20, 2005 8:17:30 PM]
Advertisement
Nicely done! Maybe one day you should put up a little link to it on your website, haha. Also, get a screenshot up there! You can't have enough screenshots in an online tutorial [wink]. Well done, Drew.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
[smile] Oh yea, well I do need to add it to my *real webpage*. Actually the only reason I didn't put it up there yet was not to eat bandwith, might as well let my University handle that [wink]. But I did not think about adding screen shots, thanks for that suggestion. I'll get those made and uploaded right away. Thanks! I'll also fix the content on the tutorial as well.
Very nice tutorial, congratulations!

It helped me a lot :-D
nice - amazing!!! your complete package is not available but it does nto matter.

[Edited by - Eitsch on December 4, 2005 2:58:25 AM]
Hi I was just wondering if anybody knows how to render the video onto a OpenGL texture using SDL and SMPEG, just like Nehe Lesson 35, the AVI video rendering version. How do you load it in SDL through to a OpenGL context, and all the messy GL bits...? Im a newie to SDL...
Dave 'Kit' Wilson - Reliant Code
Ok I've already talked to Will about doing that, but I'll go ahead and post it here if anyone else was interested.

Referring back to this thread which has a SDL_Movie wrapper made, I added in the OpenGL specifics. The key thing to note is that when you convert the SDL_Surface to the texture, you cannot use Steinsoft's as is. It took me 30 minutes to figure out that when you are working with these movie files, you have to instead use: gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D,4,bmpFile->w, bmpFile->h,GL_BGRA_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,bmpFile->pixels); Note the 4 and the GL_BGRA! Otherwise the movie is distorted and does not work correctly. Here is the complete code example, you can refer to other thread on this if you want the tutorial and the movie for it.

// Header files for SDL#include "SDL.h"#include "sdl_opengl.h"// This is the header file for the library#include "smpeg.h"// Link in the needed libraries#pragma comment( lib, "sdlmain.lib")#pragma comment( lib, "sdl.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "opengl32.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "glu32.lib")#pragma comment( lib, "smpeg.lib")SDL_Surface *MirrorSurfaceY( SDL_Surface *screen );SDL_Surface *MirrorSurfaceX( SDL_Surface *screen );class SDL_Movie{private:	// Surface for the main screen	SDL_Surface *screen;	// Surface for the movie	SDL_Surface *movieSurface;	// Holds the movie information	SMPEG_Info movieInfo;	// Load the movie	SMPEG *movie;	// The max we can scale by	int MaxScaleX;	int MaxScaleY;	int MaxScale;	// Locations on screen to draw at	int X, Y;	void DrawIMG(SDL_Surface *img, int x, int y)	{		SDL_Surface* bmpFile = MirrorSurfaceX(img);		GLuint texture;		/* Standard OpenGL texture creation code */		glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT,4);		glGenTextures(1,&texture);		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,texture);		glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,0);		glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,0);		gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D,4,bmpFile->w, bmpFile->h,GL_BGRA_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,bmpFile->pixels);		//Free surface after using it		SDL_FreeSurface(bmpFile);		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,texture);		glPushMatrix();		glTranslatef(0.0f,0.0f,-5.0f);		glBegin(GL_QUADS);			glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f,  1.0f);			glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f,  1.0f);			glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f( 1.0f,  1.0f,  1.0f);			glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(-1.0f,  1.0f,  1.0f);		glEnd();		glPopMatrix();		glDeleteTextures(1, &texture);	}public:	SDL_Movie()	{		MaxScaleX = MaxScaleY = MaxScale = 1;				screen = 0;		movieSurface = 0;		movie = 0;		X = Y = 0;	}	// Free our movie	~SDL_Movie()	{		Stop();		SMPEG_delete( movie );		movie = 0;		SDL_FreeSurface( movieSurface );		movieSurface = 0;	}	void ClearScreen()	{		SDL_FillRect( movieSurface, 0, 0 );	}	// Set's the volume on a scale of 0 - 100	void SetVolume( int vol )	{		SMPEG_setvolume( movie, vol );	}	// Scale the movie by the desired factors	void Scale( int w, int h )	{		// Prevent a divide by 0		if( w == 0 )			w = 1;		if( h == 0 )			h = 1;		SMPEG_scaleXY( movie, w, h );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Scale the movie by the desired factor	void ScaleBy( int factor )	{		// Prevent a divide by 0		if( factor == 0 )			factor = 1;		// Make sure we don't scale larger than the surface size		if( factor > MaxScale )			factor = MaxScale;		SMPEG_scale( movie, factor );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Sets the region of the video to be shown	void SetDisplayRegion( int x, int y, int w, int h )	{		SMPEG_setdisplayregion( movie, x, y, w, h );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Set the position that the movie should be drawn at on the screen	void SetPosition( int x, int y )	{		X = x;		Y = y;	}	// Check for any errors	void CheckErrors()	{		char* error = SMPEG_error( movie );		if( error )			printf( "Error: %s\n", error );	}	// Load the movie	void Load( const char* fileName, SDL_Surface* s, int maxscalex = 1, int maxscaley = 1 )	{		MaxScaleX = maxscalex;		MaxScaleY = maxscaley;				// Limit how much we can scale by		MaxScale = (maxscalex > maxscaley ? maxscaley : maxscalex);		// Assign the screen surface		screen = s;		// Load the movie and store the information about it		movie = SMPEG_new( fileName, &movieInfo, true );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif		// Create a temporary surface to render the movie to		SDL_Surface *tempSurface2 = SDL_CreateRGBSurface( SDL_SWSURFACE, movieInfo.width * MaxScaleX, movieInfo.height * MaxScaleY, 32, screen->format->Rmask, screen->format->Gmask, screen->format->Bmask, screen->format->Amask );		// Now make a surface optimized for the main screen		movieSurface = SDL_DisplayFormat( tempSurface2 );		// Free the temporary surface		SDL_FreeSurface( tempSurface2 );		// Set the surface to draw to		SMPEG_setdisplay( movie, movieSurface, 0, 0 );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif		// Set the display region		SMPEG_setdisplayregion( movie, 0, 0, movieInfo.width, movieInfo.height );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Set the looping of hte movie	void SetLoop( int val )	{		SMPEG_loop( movie, val );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Play the movie	void Play()	{		SMPEG_play( movie );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Pause the movie	void Pause()	{		SMPEG_pause( movie );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Stops the movie, but keeps current position	void Stop()	{		SMPEG_stop( movie );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Rewind the movie back to 0:00:00	void Rewind()	{		SMPEG_rewind( movie );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Seek a number of bytes into the movie	void Seek( int bytes )	{		SMPEG_seek( movie, bytes );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Skip a number of seconds	void Skip( float seconds )	{		SMPEG_skip( movie, seconds );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Render some frame of the movie	void RenderFrame( int frame )	{		SMPEG_renderFrame( movie, frame );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Render the final frame of the movie	void RenderFinal()	{		SMPEG_renderFinal( movie, movieSurface, 0, 0 );		#ifdef _DEBUG			CheckErrors();		#endif	}	// Draw the movie surface to the main screen at x, y	void DisplayAt( int x, int y )	{		DrawIMG( movieSurface, x, y );	}	// Draw the movie surface to the main screen at x, y	void Display()	{		DrawIMG( movieSurface, X, Y );	}	// Return the current info for the movie	SMPEG_Info GetInfo()	{		SMPEG_getinfo( movie, &movieInfo );		return movieInfo;	}	// Get the current status of the movie, can be SMPEG_ERROR = -1, SMPEG_STOPPED, SMPEG_PLAYING	SMPEGstatus GetStatus()	{		return SMPEG_status(movie);	}};int main( int argc, char *argv[] ){	if ( SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO|SDL_INIT_VIDEO) < 0 )	{		printf("Unable to init SDL: %s\n", SDL_GetError());		return -1;	}	atexit(SDL_Quit);	SDL_Surface* screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( 640, 480, 32, SDL_OPENGL );	if ( screen == NULL )	{		printf("Unable to set 640x480 video: %s\n", SDL_GetError());		return -1;	}	// OpenGL settings	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);	glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 0.5f);	glClearDepth(1.0f);	glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);	glDepthFunc(GL_LEQUAL);	glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL_NICEST);	// 3D view in OpenGL	glViewport(0, 0, 640, 480);	glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);	glLoadIdentity();	gluPerspective(45.0f, (GLfloat)640/(GLfloat)480, 0.1f, 100.0f);	glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);	glLoadIdentity();	// The movie variable	SDL_Movie mov1;		// Load the specified file and draw it to the 'screen' surface	// In this case, we are allowed to scale the X and Y dimensions by 2 maximually	mov1.Load( "demo.mpg", screen, 2, 2 );	// Set the display at	//mov1.SetPosition( 100, 100 );	// Scale the movie by 2	mov1.ScaleBy( 2 );	// Event variable	SDL_Event event;	// Loop flag	int done = 0;	// Key structure	Uint8* keys;	while(done == 0)	{		// Simple event loop		while ( SDL_PollEvent(&event) )		{			if ( event.type == SDL_QUIT )  {  done = 1;  }			if ( event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN )			{				if ( event.key.keysym.sym == SDLK_ESCAPE ) { done = 1; }			}		}		// Update key states		keys = SDL_GetKeyState( 0 );		// Play		if( keys[SDLK_p] )		{			mov1.Play();			keys[SDLK_p] = 0;		}		// Pause		if( keys[SDLK_a] )		{			mov1.Pause();			keys[SDLK_a] = 0;		}		// Stop		if( keys[SDLK_s] )		{			mov1.Stop();			// If we stop, we want to start from the beginning again			mov1.Rewind();			// Clear the movie surface so it's no longer showing the last frame			mov1.ClearScreen();			keys[SDLK_s] = 0;		}		// Rewind		if( keys[SDLK_r] )		{			mov1.Rewind();			keys[SDLK_r] = 0;		}		// NOTE: DOES NOT WORK		if( keys[SDLK_LEFT] )		{			// Still trying to figure this one out, how to go backwards			mov1.Skip( -.5 );			keys[SDLK_LEFT] = 0;		}		// Skip forward .5 seconds in the movie		if( keys[SDLK_RIGHT] )		{			mov1.Skip( .5 );			keys[SDLK_RIGHT] = 0;		}		// Clear the main screen		glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);		glLoadIdentity();		// Display the movie at the internal location (setposition)		//if( mov1.GetStatus() == SMPEG_PLAYING )			mov1.Display();		// Display the movie at a specified location		//mov1.DisplayAt( 0, 0 );		// Flip the main screen		glFlush();		SDL_GL_SwapBuffers();	}	return 0;}// Created from Docs/Cone3D's codevoid SetPixelU32(SDL_Surface *screen, int x, int y, Uint32 newcolor){	Uint8 *ubuff8;	Uint16 *ubuff16;	Uint32 *ubuff32;	Uint32 color = newcolor;	char c1, c2, c3;	/* Lock the screen, if needed */	if(SDL_MUSTLOCK(screen)) 	{		if(SDL_LockSurface(screen) < 0) 			return;	}	/* How we draw the pixel depends on the bitdepth */	switch(screen->format->BytesPerPixel) 	{	case 1: 		ubuff8 = (Uint8*) screen->pixels;		ubuff8 += (y * screen->pitch) + x; 		*ubuff8 = (Uint8) color;	break;	case 2:		ubuff8 = (Uint8*) screen->pixels;		ubuff8 += (y * screen->pitch) + (x*2);		ubuff16 = (Uint16*) ubuff8;		*ubuff16 = (Uint16) color; 	break;  	case 3:		ubuff8 = (Uint8*) screen->pixels;		ubuff8 += (y * screen->pitch) + (x*3);		if(SDL_BYTEORDER == SDL_LIL_ENDIAN) 		{			c1 = (color & 0xFF0000) >> 16;			c2 = (color & 0x00FF00) >> 8;			c3 = (color & 0x0000FF);		}		else		{			c3 = (color & 0xFF0000) >> 16;			c2 = (color & 0x00FF00) >> 8;			c1 = (color & 0x0000FF);			}		ubuff8[0] = c3;		ubuff8[1] = c2;		ubuff8[2] = c1;	break;	case 4:		ubuff8 = (Uint8*) screen->pixels;		ubuff8 += (y*screen->pitch) + (x*4);		ubuff32 = (Uint32*)ubuff8;		*ubuff32 = color;	break;	default:		fprintf(stderr, "Error: Unknown bitdepth!\n");	}	/* Unlock the screen if needed */	if(SDL_MUSTLOCK(screen)) 	{		SDL_UnlockSurface(screen);	}}Uint32 GetPixelU32(SDL_Surface* surface, int x, int y){	int bpp = surface->format->BytesPerPixel;	Uint8 *p = (Uint8 *)surface->pixels + y * surface->pitch + x * bpp;	switch(bpp) 	{	case 1:		return *p;	case 2:		return *(Uint16 *)p;	case 3:		if(SDL_BYTEORDER == SDL_BIG_ENDIAN)			return p[0] << 16 | p[1] << 8 | p[2];		else			return p[0] | p[1] << 8 | p[2] << 16;	case 4:		return *(Uint32 *)p;	default:		return 0;	}}SDL_Surface *MirrorSurfaceX( SDL_Surface *screen ){	SDL_Surface* newimg = SDL_CreateRGBSurface( SDL_HWSURFACE, screen->w, screen->h, screen->format->BitsPerPixel, screen->format->Rmask, screen->format->Gmask, screen->format->Bmask, screen->format->Amask);	for( int y = 0; y < screen->h; y++ )	{		for( int x = 0; x < screen->w; x++ )		{			SetPixelU32( newimg, x, y, GetPixelU32( screen, x, screen->h - y - 1 ) );		}	}	return newimg;}SDL_Surface *MirrorSurfaceY( SDL_Surface *screen ){	SDL_Surface* newimg = SDL_CreateRGBSurface( SDL_HWSURFACE, screen->w, screen->h, screen->format->BitsPerPixel, screen->format->Rmask, screen->format->Gmask, screen->format->Bmask, screen->format->Amask);	for( int y = 0; y < screen->h; y++ )	{		for( int x = 0; x < screen->w; x++ )		{			SetPixelU32( newimg, x, y, GetPixelU32( screen, screen->w - x - 1, y ) );		}	}	return newimg;}

Now that should all work, but as you will see when you run it, it is very slow. The reason is because (from my PM):
Quote:
First, you can take a look at this link for the general approach to converting a SDL_Surface* to a Opengl texture. That works for the most part, but the image ends up flipped and mirrored. You can take a look at my post here to see how you can easily fix that, but here lies the problem. If each frame, you load a SDL_Surface from a movie file, which takes A time, then you have to flip those pixels, which will take B time, then you have to convert that surface to an OpenGL texture, which takes C time, to which afterwards you still have to bind the texture and draw it, which takes D time, and you're still not done because you have to free that texture, which takes E time, you have quite a lot of overhead for this process. Needless to say, if you have a larger movie to render, then your frame rate will probabally roll over and die! If you have a smaller movie file it could be do-able, but maybe not to the best of your interests for your program.

So using SMPEG though SDL to get to OpenGL is definitly not the way to go! I have a rather above average computer, and it was running rather 'unnatural' for me as well. Your best bet is to opt for something that can be used natively with OpenGL. On one of those threads, another mention was made to another library, but I've never used it yet, but chances are you'd get better results with that over this.
i want to ask a quesetion, this time i did some program use SDL,and i want use it to play video, i find must to use smpeg, so i down load some file, it include .cpp .dll and so on,but donot have .lib,
i work in windows, i cannot untie package about liunx ,
so is smpeg must on liunx? and the smpeg.lib live on liunx?
or is i donot find right?
please tell me thank you very much, thanks a lot.
if you know the smpeg.lib down load address(internet),can you pass it to me?
or send the file to me.
my email:mangshe0@163.com
thankyou very much
and i am sorry my english......谢谢

The online tutorial doesn't exist anymore, and the word document just links to a bunch of other files that don't exist. Why didn't you just copy the text of the tutorial into the document instead of adding all these useless forms and links. This tutorial is utterly useless until you fix this.

The online tutorial doesn't exist anymore, and the word document just links to a bunch of other files that don't exist. Why didn't you just copy the text of the tutorial into the document instead of adding all these useless forms and links. This tutorial is utterly useless until you fix this.
You're about six years too late.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement