Maya, Blender, or 3Ds Max?

Started by
16 comments, last by Daaark 18 years, 6 months ago
I'm trying to decide what program I should use for creating models for my games. I already have Blender and I really like using it, but I was wondering what features Maya and 3Ds Max have to offer that Blender doesn't. Any opinions are welcome.
Advertisement
I haven't used blender yet (most likely I won't), I do have Maya Unlimited and 3DS Max (student version). I 'grew' up with 3DS Max so when creating simple models, I use that program. 3DS Max also has its own Script language, which lets you write your own file exporter (so you can use your own fileformat for your game). I don't know if maya also has this, though.
I use maya for the really nice renderings, models that have hair. 3DS Max doesn't have this thing with hairs unless you pay alot of money for a plugin.

I just (5 min ago) a movie where so artist created a prehistorical piranhia in ZBrush and within 15 minutes I fell in love with ZBrush...

I cannot say to you use this or use that, if you like blender, keep using it, all modeling app's got features which others doesn't have. I began with 3DS Max because I have heard about it so much.
The popular big boys aren't necessarily the best, you know...

I know I didn't answer your question, because it is all about personal favor, to me that is.

Xeile
3ds max is an own all program, it does everything maya, blender can do. there are tons of freeware plugins for 3ds max aswell that do the same as the expensive ones (like hair). Maya is good too but blender is limited compared to the two.
However don't listen to me or the other guy. 3d modeling programs are like an artist and his medium of choice, use whatever you feel the most comfortable with.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Blender is actually really fast to use once you're used to it.... moreso than 3dsmax, I'd say. But the really, REALLY nice thing about blender is how it doesn't cost thousands of dollars.
Don't forget to look at your own skill. It don't really matter which one you use since it is your own talent that is going to make the difference. Take me for example, I could drive a Ferrari but it would probably have just as many dents and scratches in it as my car. If you get to a point where you find Blender cant do what you need it to, then it is time to start shopping around.
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
OK, thanks for all your advice guys. I will do what IronGryphon said, and if there is ever something that I can't do in Blender, I will look into Maya or 3Ds Max.
Quote:Original post by Harryu
OK, thanks for all your advice guys. I will do what IronGryphon said, and if there is ever something that I can't do in Blender, I will look into Maya or 3Ds Max.

I hope you have at least $3000.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
blender+wings, then greaduate to an entry level high end app, like xsi foundation, or if you only model, modo or silo.
for game modeling, at a beginners level I suggest that you have specific apps for all the diffrent stages. I suggest wings3d especially for the modeling stage, what a great application, I use it even for hi-res applications. Maybe try Gmax as well for the modeling, free from autodesk (who make 3dMax, as well now as maya apparently!)

For unwrapping try lithi-unwrap (I belive thats what its called. Cheap and decent) In reality there are alot of not so expensive programs that do this (and some free, see the stickified list).

For texturing for free GIMP works well, or if you have it PhotoShopPro, either one will suit your needs.

Your looking then at just buying and unwrapper, which is good because then you can keep tasks seperate and specific, you dont pay through the nose for a 'complete' program and finding an unwrapper can be more suited to finding one that you work well with, instead of using one that you must get used to (because there are so many of them)

This is just my opinion, there are some problems with it like doing animations and stuff but starting out it should be about creative process (aquiring better artistic skills, learning to think 3d and other more basic stuff) then later it can be about learning more advanced programs, UI's and techniques but you will already have a workflow and foundation.

Much more than I though I would have to say, sorry and good luck

Slowpid.
If you can pull out $7000, get maya. It can do hair, cloth, water, and it has the best rendering system. It is not as supported for game programming though, but it is the best package you can get. If you want scripting and have only $3000, get 3ds max. The most widely used program to date for game modeling. You may want to check out rhino or lightwave too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement