Looking for 3D file formats

Started by
6 comments, last by Dorvo 18 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I am looking for as-many-as-possible 3D file formats, like MD2. Code will be nice, but an adequate format description will be welcome as well. Plus if you have any comments or opinions about certain formats, I would love to hear it all. Thanks!
Dubito, Cogito ergo sum.
Advertisement
Searched through here yet?

http://www.wotsit.org/
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
Yes, I have searched wotsit before, thanks. I kinda hoped to lay my hands on some of the more advanced formats, for more advanced games such as HL2, Far Cry, Doom3 and so on. I realize that most of them (or maybe all of them...) aren't public domain, but maybe some are - and somebody knows where the formats are. Also, maybe a proprietary format of an advanced public-domain engine is available as well, which would serve me just the same.
Dubito, Cogito ergo sum.
We use the dotXSI file format. Its easy to load using the FTK provided by Softimage. All for free... and the Foundation package is really powerful and cheap. www.softimage.com

Luck!
Guimo

The dotXSI sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks!
Dubito, Cogito ergo sum.
About Doom 3's MD5 format:

the (self-proclaimed) Doom3 reference

Regards,
Great! Thanks for the MD5 link :-)
Dubito, Cogito ergo sum.
You should pick up the book Focus on 3D Models by Evan Pipho. It covers a great deal of the commonly used 3d file formats. It contains the source code to load all of the covered formats, as well as chapters on animating these same formats.
It's quite a good book.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement