Sign in to follow this  
vore2005

Beginner's DirectX9 problem (DXUT)

Hi, I took the EmptyProject DirectX framework sample from the August SDK and added some code to it. At the moment the only thing I am rendering is a text string. The window opens and displays fine but when I try to maximise it a get a dialog box telling me that the assert statement in dbgdel.cpp has failed. The code in dbgdel.cpp seems to be performing a delete on an object. Why would this assertion fail only when I attempt to maximise? If I minimise the screen, everything is fine, restore it again, everything is fine. If I hide the window behind another and bring it forward again, everything is fine. Aso, it closes without any problems. I'm sure I'm doing something silly as I'm new to DirectX/DXUT. Any ideas?

In the MDX version of the empty project sample, this normally indicates that a resource isn't being disposed when the device is lost, which may happen when you maximize the window it is bound to. All resources you create on the device should be disposed of when the device is lost and recreated when the device is reset. Check if you are disposing your text sprite (or unmanaged equivalent) when the device lost callback is called.