• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MajinMusashi

Converting images from upper-left to bottom-left origin

This topic is 4814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

CONTEXT: These days I was revising my TGA image loading methods and found out that some images use top-left origin instead of the most used nowadays bottom-left origin. So, I've read the TGA specification and discovered that the 17th byte of the image header contains the information I wanted: whether coordinates system origin is upper-left or bottom-right. Then I wrote a method that, after all the image loading and such, swap the lines and make every texture bottom-left origin. PROBLEM: As you can see from the source code below, everything is working fine, but the readibility is not so good (and I'm using C style functions).
// Check if the image has upper-left origin. If so, swap lines so that
// the origin stays at the image bottom-left
if ( header[17] & 0x00000020 ) {
  unsigned int lineSize = auxTex.bytesPerPixel * auxTex.width;
  unsigned int halfHeight = auxTex.height / 2;
  GLubyte* tempLine = new GLubyte[ lineSize ];

// Swap lines using a temporary line
  for (int currentLine = 0; currentLine < halfHeight; ++currentLine ) {
    memcpy( tempLine, auxTex.imageData + (currentLine * lineSize), lineSize );
    memcpy( auxTex.imageData + (currentLine * lineSize), auxTex.imageData + ((auxTex.width - currentLine - 1) * lineSize), lineSize );
    memcpy( auxTex.imageData + ((auxTex.width - currentLine - 1) * lineSize), tempLine, lineSize );
  }

delete [] tempLine;
}

QUESTION: Do you have any advices on how to rewrite this block of code so it looks more friendly? Is there any ultra-secret STL algorithm that can do the job in one pass? Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
The std::reverse algorithm was designed for scenarios like this, but you have to provide it with an iterator of some sort. For working directly with in-memory data as you are, I'd say what you have is fine -- and in fact, perfectly readable and understandable to me. As soon as I saw that you were reversing the data top-to-bottom and using a variable "halfHeight", I understood that you were performing an in-place swap moving from the top and bottom of the image toward the middle.

Quote:
Original post by MajinMusashi
QUESTION: Do you have any advices on how to rewrite this block of code so it looks more friendly? Is there any ultra-secret STL algorithm that can do the job in one pass?
I'll post a std::reverse method just for comparison; see if it fits your performance needs:
template< unsigned int width >
struct scanline { unsigned char scanline_[width]; };
// ...
if( header[17] & 0x00000020 ) {

// size and point our scanline iterator at image data
unsigned int lineSize = auxTex.bytesPerPixel * auxTex.width;

scanline<lineSize> * sl = (scanline<lineSize> *)(auxTex.imageData)

// and reverse image data
std::reverse( sl, sl+auxTex.height );
}

EDITED: to correct typos and add friendliness

[Edited by - stylin on October 5, 2005 1:54:09 PM]

ERRATA: The above method does not work; it errors unless you feed it compile-time constant arguments (as I was naively doing in my test app).

I've tried using array pointers, obviously with the same result. Does anyone know if this can be done without using a temp copy array?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!