(-1) or (0)

Started by
23 comments, last by ZedFx 18 years, 6 months ago
I have always wondered how people calculate or represent the largest possible number of an unsigned integer, as in C/C++ it can be different sizes on different platforms/chips and hence can have different maximum numerical values. So the question is this: what is the better/best way to calculate it ? I have come to conclusion that it is either ((unsigned int)(-1)) or (~0), however, I am not sure if the (-1) way will work on all chips and things like that.
Advertisement
Well, ~0 should always work. But -1 won't work on one's complement machines.
What's wrong with UINT_MAX?
Technically it won't always work, since it relies on the architecture using two's-complement for representation of signed integers. Use UINT_MAX, which I believe is defined in limits.h for moderately recent C compilers.
Use either

#include <limits> // C++// or#include <limits.h> // C

A compiler vendor is good at telling what is the maximum value of an int when using its compiler :)

unsigned int max_uint = std::numeric_limits<unsigned int>::max(); // C++// orunsigned int max_uint = UINT_MAX; // C

Regards,
Use numeric_limits as was recommended if you need the value at runtime. If you need the value at preprocessing time, use UINT_MAX. If you need the value at compile-time, (0u - 1u) is guaranteed to work, or you can use ::boost::integer_traits if you have boost installed.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Technically it won't always work, since it relies on the architecture using two's-complement for representation of signed integers.
Quote:Original post by Polymorphic OOP
If you need the value at compile-time, (0u - 1u) is guaranteed to work, or you can use ::boost::integer_traits if you have boost installed.
What's wrong with the OPs other suggestion (~0)?
Unless I'm completely clueless, I believe that numeric_limits will work at compile time too - on VC++ implementation numeric_limits::max() is just an alias to the corresponding define, so I guess that a good compiler will probably transform it to a constant. I have no gcc here to verify if it is implemented in the same way.

Regards,
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Unless I'm completely clueless, I believe that numeric_limits will work at compile time too - on VC++ implementation numeric_limits::max() is just an alias to the corresponding define, so I guess that a good compiler will probably transform it to a constant. I have no gcc here to verify if it is implemented in the same way.

Regards,

Yes, the values of numeric limits will work at compile time.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Quote:Original post by doynax
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Technically it won't always work, since it relies on the architecture using two's-complement for representation of signed integers.
Quote:Original post by Polymorphic OOP
If you need the value at compile-time, (0u - 1u) is guaranteed to work, or you can use ::boost::integer_traits if you have boost installed.

1) it is not really easy to decipher (are you sure you'll remember what you tried to do in 2 years?)

2) there is more standard way to do it

But you are true, it should work. I believe Sneftel considered only the (-1) trick, not the (~0) one.
Quote:Original post by doynax

Yeah, that should work too, I should have clarified.

Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Unless I'm completely clueless, I believe that numeric_limits will work at compile time too

Quote:Original post by Washu
Yes, the values of numeric limits will work at compile time.

Function call results, such as of those in numeric_limits specializations, are never useable at compile-time. In fact, that's precisely why boost has integer_traits.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement