ATI's new R520 hardware - no SM3 vertex texturing..

Started by
25 comments, last by noVum 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:Original post by matches81
the shader models were supposed to be a standard of some kind, weren´t they? What good is a standard, if around 50% of sold hardware doesn´t comply with it exactly, but still says it does?

I don't have the exact D3D9 specs to hand, but from my understanding is that they state a minimum feature set to be SM2 or SM3 "compliant". Through the enumeration functions there is quite a lot of room for the IHV's to manouver. Hence why you can get different cards supporting different numbers of shader instructions (etc..) - so long as they support the minimum demanded by the spec.

As for advertising... do you know many end-user/gamers that'll know (or care) about the different vertex texturing implementations for ATI/NV? As long as thats the case I'm sure neither company will be too fussed about "blurring" the facts [grin]

hth
Jack

I know that the shader models are a set of minimum specs / abilities... but that´s exactly my point: If the info in this thread is correct, ATI´s next chip won´t fulfill those minimum specs, but it is still advertised as shader model 3 "compliant", which doesn´t seem to be the case.
Sure, no end-user will care, as long as the software developers (mainly game developers) find a way to get the wanted result, which was my point again. As a developer I would really love to see whether the hardware complies with shader model 3 and implement my shaders all the same for shader model 3 hardware, which I obviously can´t do when the ATI cards are unable to do some features that would be required for SM3 but still propagate they are. It seems I would have to write a completely different shader for the ATI cards, which I really dislike...

To make things short I simply dislike that ATI seems to expect something like special treatment when they could have done it the "standard" way, which results in more work for the devs.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by matches81
To make things short I simply dislike that ATI seems to expect something like special treatment when they could have done it the "standard" way, which results in more work for the devs.

I agree.

From everything I've read about it... the R5x0 cards seem to have had big hardware problems - and the big indication of no "normal" vertex texturing is that the silicon actually doesn't exist between the VShader units and the texture samplers. Which, to me, reads more of a case that the hardware engineers did it the way they wanted and then sorted out the software later on [rolleyes]

I think ATI should give everyone in this thread a free dev-board to verify that it is (or isn't) rubbish [grin]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I think ATI should give everyone in this thread a free dev-board to verify that it is (or isn't) rubbish [grin]

I think I can already verify that is rubbish, but I think they should still give us the dev board. Maybe then, I could sell it and make enough $$$ to buy a new Nvidia card, and actually have real 3.0 [lol]
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by circlesoft

I think I can already verify that is rubbish, but I think they should still give us the dev board. Maybe then, I could sell it and make enough $$$ to buy a new Nvidia card, and actually have real 3.0 [lol]

Ssshhhhhhhhhh!! they might hear your plan [looksaround]

Did you not get enough money by selling your controller on EBay then? [lol]

Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Nope, it's just usually that I have to take out a small loan and refinance my house in order to by a new graphics card hehe
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by circlesoft

Nope, it's just usually that I have to take out a small loan and refinance my house in order to by a new graphics card hehe

Given the house prices in the USA I feel sorry for you [lol]

I'm thinking that we'll need to start piping all our finances into a second power-line into our houses. 650w PSU?!? I might as well go down to the basement and watch the electricity meter spin round [oh]

Jack

Quote:Original post by remigius
Well, considering the SM3.0 specs seem to be more of a joint venture between NVidia and Microsoft, I can't really blame ATI. When I was looking to buy an X850 I made a little comparative sheet between the SM3.0 specs and the X850 specs (SM2.0b?) and it all comes down to glossy terms ATI can't legally use. The only true feature the X850 missed was the seperate progammable specular & fog shader. And of course with the whopping 255 shaders instructions missing for full SM3.0 compliance, you're gonna have a hard time with the 65280 instructions available ;p

Anyway, in case anyone's interested:

This is a piece of bullshit.

Shader length: The paper mixes Vertex- and Pixelshader-Length. Vertexshader-Length was not an issue on any Radeon Hardware. The Problem is the Pixelshader.
Dynamic branching: ATi could very well expose static and dynamic branching through Shadermodel 2.x. They don't. The card doesn't even have static branching in the PixelShader.
Back-Face Register: This is the only valid point.
Interpolated Color Format: This is the precision of the Interpolator-Registers. And R300 and R420 only have 8bit precision there.
MRT: ATi does expose 4 MRTs through Shader 2.x. This is no issue.
FOG and Specular: Yes it could done with the shader anyway.
Texture coordinate count: Texture coordinates have nothing to do with the maximum textures bound to samplers.

Please inform yourself before posting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement