Sign in to follow this  
dudedbz1

OMG OMG I cant open exe files

That is one more reason why you don't touch the registry unless you know what you are doing. That is also one more reason why Linux does not have a registry. :P Oh and how did you start your web browser if you can't open exe files :S

This happened to my brother and he came to the solution of reformating his computer. Really sorry for not being any help [wink].

[EDIT] You could try running a registry fixer program of some kind.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Hahahahaha.

Rename regedit.exe to regedit.com and run it. Old trick.

I acctually had to use that trick to fix a virus on my friends PC - and no I didn't invent it, I googled it.

Sorry for double-posting(quadrouple in my case). My IE doesnt refresh so I thought that for some reason the posts well didnt post. Sorry again. And uhhh... I remembered that theres a .com oslution to all this. And yes, I have no idea how I opended explorer.exe or IE.exe. Just did.

Quote:
Original post by dudedbz1
And yes, I have no idea how I opended explorer.exe or IE.exe. Just did.

:/ And I was just going to remind everyone here that you may have access to more than 1 computer ...

Heh, My guess would be IE can still run because of the tight integration with the Windows OS, you can type a web address into any old folder/explorer window and load up a website. Doesn't Windows do automatic backups of the Registry? How about checking your Restore Points.

EDIT: Nevermind

Can you try to copy this to a .reg file, dbl click it and see if it correct the problem?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

HTH,

Thanks for trying to help, but I fixed it using regedit.com instead of .exe.

P.S. Even if it would of helped, there would of been no way to save it cuz I couldnt open up notepad.exe. Ofcourse, I could of opened notepad by making it a .com, but why do that when I could fix it with regedit.com?

Quote:
Original post by dudedbz1
P.S. Even if it would of helped, there would of been no way to save it cuz I couldnt open up notepad.exe. Ofcourse, I could of opened notepad by making it a .com, but why do that when I could fix it with regedit.com?

You could always open up command.com and use edit.com to create the file.
They exist in 2000, I assume that would work in XP as well.

Anyhoo, glad you fixed the issue.

Editing random values at random, even if you have some reason, can be...fun and a good way to learn!
When I first discovered the BIOS on my 8086, I turned that 512 Kb floppy drive into a badass 1,2 Mb by just...random editing! (It actually worked, just like that burning holes in floppies trick, well nevermind). Seriously though, if you can afford to risk a format C:\, it can be good to play around and maybe google some things you screwed up. Nice one!