OMG OMG I cant open exe files

Started by
19 comments, last by dudedbz1 18 years, 6 months ago
Might, but dont. Though the .com solution is pretty nice. Good I didnt modify the .exe and .com extensions lol.
-----------------------------....::::DRAGON BALL Z::::....C<<"+"<<"+"; // Go C++ !!!-----------------------------
Advertisement
Heh, My guess would be IE can still run because of the tight integration with the Windows OS, you can type a web address into any old folder/explorer window and load up a website. Doesn't Windows do automatic backups of the Registry? How about checking your Restore Points.

EDIT: Nevermind
Yeah, but I didnt make any restore points.
-----------------------------....::::DRAGON BALL Z::::....C<<"+"<<"+"; // Go C++ !!!-----------------------------
Can you try to copy this to a .reg file, dbl click it and see if it correct the problem?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]@="exefile""Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

HTH,
Thanks for trying to help, but I fixed it using regedit.com instead of .exe.

P.S. Even if it would of helped, there would of been no way to save it cuz I couldnt open up notepad.exe. Ofcourse, I could of opened notepad by making it a .com, but why do that when I could fix it with regedit.com?
Quote:Original post by dudedbz1
P.S. Even if it would of helped, there would of been no way to save it cuz I couldnt open up notepad.exe. Ofcourse, I could of opened notepad by making it a .com, but why do that when I could fix it with regedit.com?

You could always open up command.com and use edit.com to create the file.
They exist in 2000, I assume that would work in XP as well.

Anyhoo, glad you fixed the issue.
cloakwww.theblackroom.ca
Wow I never knew about command.com. Neither about edit.com. Thanks for telling me about them! May become useful once upon a time lol. And yes, they work on xp too.
called system restore!
This reminds me of long ago deleted the win.ini in windows 3.11 lololol
Editing random values at random, even if you have some reason, can be...fun and a good way to learn!
When I first discovered the BIOS on my 8086, I turned that 512 Kb floppy drive into a badass 1,2 Mb by just...random editing! (It actually worked, just like that burning holes in floppies trick, well nevermind). Seriously though, if you can afford to risk a format C:\, it can be good to play around and maybe google some things you screwed up. Nice one!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement