[.net] MDX October SDK released...what happened to lights?

Started by
3 comments, last by thezbuffer 18 years, 6 months ago
Hi guys, I just installed the DirectX October SDK, which includes the beta MDX assemblies for .NET 2.0. Has anyone played with this? I am amazed at the amount of churn they've done, ripping out all sorts of APIs, replacing or renaming others without warning...yikes. One question I have: what happened to lights? You used to be able to specify the type of light when you create one: directional light, spot light, point light, etc. But now, the LightType enum is ...empty. The constructor for Light doesn't take any parameters, and I don't see any way to change the actual type of light. The only thing I see is light.LightType, which can be set to an LightType enum constant, however, the LightType enum is empty!
------Tech, life, family, faith: Give me a visit.
Advertisement
No wonder none of the Managed DirectX help files had anything useful in them... they knew ahead of time that they were going to rip stuff apart.

I haven't looked, but I have a guess: Did they create derived classes for the major types of lights, like PointLight, DirectionalLight, etc?
Tom Miller made a few notes about it. I haven't really checked it out completely yet though...
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Such a big release, I think I am going to wait until I get my hands on Longhorn to download this one. I have enough problems with the August SDK.
LightEnum being empty is one of the uninentional ommissions.

Try casting int's
LightType.Directional becomes (LightType)0
LightType.Point becomes (LightType)1
LightType.Spot becomes (LightType)2

However there is a lot more accidentally missing that this enum so good luck with the rest of your code.
ZMan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement