Sign in to follow this  
THACO

Debugging a DLL

Ok, I have created some 3dsmax plugins using Visual Studio. I am not quite sure, but I think I create DLL's or something. They are not an executable or anything like that so how would I debug. Currently I just have it show up message boxes are certain points sorta like printing variables to the screen to debug which sucks. Anyway I can debug the project? -THACO

When you start the debugging process, specify in the debugging settings that 3DS Max is the process to debug. When execution reaches your DLL you should be able to debug (mostly) like normal.

Go to your 3D Studio Max directory.
Under that directory there is a folder where the SDK is located (For me, the folder is "d:\3dsmax7\maxsdk\" but I recall it being different in other versions.)
Open the help directory.
Open SDK.CHM (this is the help file)
Open the Advanced Topics contents
Click Debugging
Read it.

Autodesk/discreet advocates the use of "executable for debug session" rather than attaching to the process after 3d studio has started running. This allows the debugger to react to static initialization, DLLMain, and all the functions that might be called by the time you attach to the process otherwise.

"...Teach a man to fish..."