Sign in to follow this  
MTclip

finding a vector projected from from another using a matrix??

MTclip    242
..i am just making a simple fps camera.. I have a position vector (xyz) and i have a matrix4X4 that defines its rotation and translation... how do i go about finding the direction to move towards the way i am looking? i am thinking i will just find the a unit vector in the way the camera is facing from the position the camera is at.. i am not sure of how to do the math to accomplish this... i am using directx so explaining this to me with D3DX functions is ok, but not imperative

jyk    2094
The direction vectors (side, up, forward) can be extracted directly from the transformation matrix. They are in the first three rows if the matrix is a local->world matrix, or the columns if it's a world->local (i.e. view) matrix. Here's an example of extracting the vectors from the rows using 1d indexing:
Vector3 x(m[0], m[1], m[2]);
Vector3 y(m[4], m[5], m[6]);
Vector3 z(m[8], m[9], m[10]);
And using named 2d-index variables:
Vector3 x(m11, m12, m13);
Vector3 y(m21, m22, m23);
Vector3 z(m31, m32, m33);
For a view matrix, simply transpose the examples.

Kest    547
Quote:
Original post by MTclip
I have a position vector (xyz) and i have a matrix4X4 that defines its rotation and translation...

Not sure if this is a typo, but the position and translation are the same. IE, the translation vector of the matrix is the camera position.

I can't remember the exact object names in D3DX, but something like this, I believe..

PositionVector += VECTOR( CamMatrix._31, CamMatrix._32, CamMatrix._33 ) * DesiredDistance;

The 31,32,33 values are what jyk referred to as the z vector. Which is basically like a direction pointing forward. The y vector points up, and the x vector points to the right of the object.