Sign in to follow this  
wiseduck

C++ STL list memory management question

wiseduck    138
Hi there! I am using a lot of STL list in my C++ codes. But I could not find information on memory management with it. The question is: when I remove an object from the list, is the object deleted from memory or only the pointer in the list gets deleted? ex:
std::list<T> lista;

for(int i=0; i<10; i++)
    lista.push_back(*new T());

std::list<T>::iterator iter = lista.begin();

lista.erase(iter);
The first element gets out of the list. But does ig gets out of memory or should I create a pointer to it before erase()'ing and delete it?

Telastyn    3777
STL containers only clean up the memory stored in them, in a pointer's case the 4 bytes [or however large] the address takes, not the new'd T().

wiseduck    138
But in this exemple mine, the list contains T objects, not T pointers. The new has a * before it. But, so it deletes the the object?

PS: How to put code box that don't break '<' and '>' characters?

Boku San    428
Don't mean to derail the thread...could someone explain the purpose/behavior of dereferencing the new operator (*new)?

I can't say I've seen it before, and it looks like it's nonstandard.

If someone could clear that up, it'd be great.

nprz    692
When you push the object on the list, I think it would make a copy of it, so creating a dynamic object T, and (without keeping the track of the address) putting a copy of it in the list, I think you are leaking memory right at that point.

why not:
lista.push_back(T());
instead?
Either that or keep track of pointers and delete it before erasing from the list.

wiseduck    138
@Boku San:
This kind of code compiled for me in g++ several times, and worked as expected (not considering the possibles memory leaks).

@nprz:
I wrote code this way cause I come from 2 years of Java programing. I didn't know the possibilitie of calling constructor this way. If it is really possible, it is indeed the best way to code. Bu I fail to see the practical differences from your code to mine.

edit: I read again, now I understood the difference.