Sign in to follow this  

OpenGL "More OpenGL Game Programming"

This topic is 4443 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, is this bad boy going to be on the shelves Oct 18th like amazon says? Will it have tutorials on FBOs? VBOs? Shadowmapping? This is more for Dave and Kevin

Quote:
Original post by Myopic Rhino
Yes to all the above.

Btw, Kevin ended up not being involved with the book. It was me and 23 contributing authors.

he dropped out? why?
(sorry if too personal)

WOW DAVE ASTLE! DE DAVE ASTLE LIVES FRICKIN 1 HOUR AWAY FROM ME THAT'S CRAZY! Sup Dave Astle, I'm reading the OpenGL game programming book right now :) I live in Diamond bar, my mom's friend lives in temecula though so I've been there, man this is cool! I'm definately gonna buy that book when it comes out. lol sorry if I annoyed you, this is cool though.

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Yes to all the above.

Btw, Kevin ended up not being involved with the book. It was me and 23 contributing authors.

he dropped out? why?
(sorry if too personal)

Mostly because I just didn't have time to ensure it was of high quality. It was decided that Dave would take it and use contributing authors so it would be a better book than if it was just us. I don't know how Dave feels about it, but I think book might not have been completed if we had tried to do it alone (just because of time). You would have seen a dramatic decrease in GameDev.net updates as well.

So, hope I didn't disappoint anyone. It's going to be a great book, though. Dave and the authors did a good job on it.

Quote:
Original post by Khawk
So, hope I didn't disappoint anyone. It's going to be a great book, though. Dave and the authors did a good job on it.

Well, from my point of view I think you made the right choice, if not I wouldnt have got a chance to work on it [wink]

Hooray! I've been looking forward to this one, hopefully it'll come in with more haste than those Intel Manuals (they probably ran out after Sneftel's tree-killing fest...)

Hmmm it't the 19th and no word of the book being out yet? I looked on Amazon not been released? Do I even waste my time going down to B&N to look...

This page has it listed as Nov 07, while this page has it listed as October 24. Not sure if either are right, but they both look like they could be the publisher's site.

I haven't seen any announcements for it yet, but it looks like the book is out now. It's at the top of the recent list in the books section. Or you can always click on this.

Quote:
Original post by baldurk
As far as I'm aware, it was published on the 18th. I don't know however when you can expect to see it on amazon or in shops.

i ordered the book on amazon when this thread started and it said in my confirmation email that the expected date would be anywhere from December 7th - December 23rd. i hope this wont be the case.

Quote:
Original post by aaroncox1234
It's weird, if you go to http://glbook.gamedev.net/, it says that the book is out now. If you follow the link to amazon, it says it's not released.

Amazon isn't exactly the most reliable source to whether or not something has been released. On one occassion they shipped me an item that they still haven't listed as released.

I'm not sure what the release date really is at this point. From the beginning, the date was supposed to be October 18th, and we weren't late in delivering it, so that shouldn't have changed. I also talked to the publisher last week, and they confirmed that the date is still the 18th. But the book's listing on the publisher's website has now been changed from Nov 1 to Nov 7, so I'm not sure what's going on.

No matter what, as soon as I know that it's actually available, I'm going to post it in the news here, on OpenGL.org, in this forum, on NeHe, and I'll start running ads for it.

It sure looks like it's going to be a great book, with lots of topics covered. Let's hope one of our Indian book retailers get hold of some copies soon.

Here's two thumbs up to the GDnet staff! [smile]

Quote:
I'm not sure what the release date really is at this point. From the beginning, the date was supposed to be October 18th, and we weren't late in delivering it, so that shouldn't have changed. I also talked to the publisher last week, and they confirmed that the date is still the 18th. But the book's listing on the publisher's website has now been changed from Nov 1 to Nov 7, so I'm not sure what's going on.

No matter what, as soon as I know that it's actually available, I'm going to post it in the news here, on OpenGL.org, in this forum, on NeHe, and I'll start running ads for it.

Does the book come with or without a code sample cd?

Quote:
Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Quote:

Without. The code will be available on the book's website.

Quote:
Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Quote:

The code will be available here as soon as it's done.

That's what I thought. But one could always hope. [lol] Why is the CD omited? Does it mean more pages for the book?

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By _OskaR
      Hi,
      I have an OpenGL application but without possibility to wite own shaders.
      I need to perform small VS modification - is possible to do it in an alternative way? Do we have apps or driver modifictions which will catch the shader sent to GPU and override it?
    • By xhcao
      Does sync be needed to read texture content after access texture image in compute shader?
      My simple code is as below,
      glUseProgram(program.get());
      glBindImageTexture(0, texture[0], 0, GL_FALSE, 3, GL_READ_ONLY, GL_R32UI);
      glBindImageTexture(1, texture[1], 0, GL_FALSE, 4, GL_WRITE_ONLY, GL_R32UI);
      glDispatchCompute(1, 1, 1);
      // Does sync be needed here?
      glUseProgram(0);
      glBindFramebuffer(GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER, framebuffer);
      glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0,
                                     GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X + face, texture[1], 0);
      glReadPixels(0, 0, kWidth, kHeight, GL_RED_INTEGER, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, outputValues);

Compute shader is very simple, imageLoad content from texture[0], and imageStore content to texture[1]. Does need to sync after dispatchCompute?
    • By Jonathan2006
      My question: is it possible to transform multiple angular velocities so that they can be reinserted as one? My research is below:
      // This works quat quaternion1 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector1); quat quaternion2 = GEMultiplyQuaternions(quaternion1, GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector2)); quat quaternion3 = GEMultiplyQuaternions(quaternion2, GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector3)); glMultMatrixf(GEMat4FromQuaternion(quaternion3).array); // The first two work fine but not the third. Why? quat quaternion1 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector1); vec3 vector1 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion1, angularVelocity1); quat quaternion2 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector2); vec3 vector2 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion2, angularVelocity2); // This doesn't work //quat quaternion3 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector3); //vec3 vector3 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion3, angularVelocity3); vec3 angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(vector1, vector2); // Does not work: vec3 angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(vector1, GEAddVectors(vector2, vector3)); static vec3 angleRadiansVector; vec3 angularAcceleration = GESetVector(0.0, 0.0, 0.0); // Sending it through one angular velocity later in my motion engine angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(angleVelocity, GEMultiplyVectorAndScalar(angularAcceleration, timeStep)); angleRadiansVector = GEAddVectors(angleRadiansVector, GEMultiplyVectorAndScalar(angleVelocity, timeStep)); glMultMatrixf(GEMat4FromEulerAngle(angleRadiansVector).array); Also how do I combine multiple angularAcceleration variables? Is there an easier way to transform the angular values?
    • By dpadam450
      I have this code below in both my vertex and fragment shader, however when I request glGetUniformLocation("Lights[0].diffuse") or "Lights[0].attenuation", it returns -1. It will only give me a valid uniform location if I actually use the diffuse/attenuation variables in the VERTEX shader. Because I use position in the vertex shader, it always returns a valid uniform location. I've read that I can share uniforms across both vertex and fragment, but I'm confused what this is even compiling to if this is the case.

#define NUM_LIGHTS 2
      struct Light
      {
          vec3 position;
          vec3 diffuse;
          float attenuation;
      };
      uniform Light Lights[NUM_LIGHTS];

• By pr033r
      Hello,
      I have a Bachelor project on topic "Implenet 3D Boid's algorithm in OpenGL". All OpenGL issues works fine for me, all rendering etc. But when I started implement the boid's algorithm it was getting worse and worse. I read article (http://natureofcode.com/book/chapter-6-autonomous-agents/) inspirate from another code (here: https://github.com/jyanar/Boids/tree/master/src) but it still doesn't work like in tutorials and videos. For example the main problem: when I apply Cohesion (one of three main laws of boids) it makes some "cycling knot". Second, when some flock touch to another it scary change the coordination or respawn in origin (x: 0, y:0. z:0). Just some streng things. 
      I followed many tutorials, change a try everything but it isn't so smooth, without lags like in another videos. I really need your help. 
      My code (optimalizing branch): https://github.com/pr033r/BachelorProject/tree/Optimalizing
      Exe file (if you want to look) and models folder (for those who will download the sources):
      http://leteckaposta.cz/367190436
      Thanks for any help...

• Popular Now