"More OpenGL Game Programming"

Started by
49 comments, last by LilBudyWizer 18 years, 5 months ago
It sure looks like it's going to be a great book, with lots of topics covered. Let's hope one of our Indian book retailers get hold of some copies soon.

Here's two thumbs up to the GDnet staff! [smile]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Myopic Rhino
I'm not sure what the release date really is at this point. From the beginning, the date was supposed to be October 18th, and we weren't late in delivering it, so that shouldn't have changed. I also talked to the publisher last week, and they confirmed that the date is still the 18th. But the book's listing on the publisher's website has now been changed from Nov 1 to Nov 7, so I'm not sure what's going on.

No matter what, as soon as I know that it's actually available, I'm going to post it in the news here, on OpenGL.org, in this forum, on NeHe, and I'll start running ads for it.

Does the book come with or without a code sample cd?
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
I'm not sure what the release date really is at this point. From the beginning, the date was supposed to be October 18th, and we weren't late in delivering it, so that shouldn't have changed. I also talked to the publisher last week, and they confirmed that the date is still the 18th. But the book's listing on the publisher's website has now been changed from Nov 1 to Nov 7, so I'm not sure what's going on.

No matter what, as soon as I know that it's actually available, I'm going to post it in the news here, on OpenGL.org, in this forum, on NeHe, and I'll start running ads for it.

Without. The code will be available on the book's website.

The code will be available here as soon as it's done.
That's what I thought. But one could always hope. [lol] Why is the CD omited? Does it mean more pages for the book?
I guess it's because how annoying such CDs are given that they inevitably contain bugs, which in turn generates bad publicity for the book itself, regardless of the book's merits.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Well it means extra costs for you, because you need to print the CDs, it means that you don't have the CD and then have to download updated code, and it means we can update the demos and know that that's the only copy of the demo to worry about :).

It's just easier to manage, and virtually everyone who would be buying this book I would expect to have access to the internet.
Quote:Original post by baldurk
Well it means extra costs for you, because you need to print the CDs, it means that you don't have the CD and then have to download updated code, and it means we can update the demos and know that that's the only copy of the demo to worry about :).

It's just easier to manage, and virtually everyone who would be buying this book I would expect to have access to the internet.

While I understand that, I'd still rather just have a nice printed CD instead of burning my own. [grin] Have you seen the whole book Baldurk? I'm wondering how in-depth each section is. In the first book I felt some topics were discussed too quickly and not always enough detail given.
Quote:Original post by baldurk

While I understand that, I'd still rather just have a nice printed CD instead of burning my own. [grin] Have you seen the whole book Baldurk? I'm wondering how in-depth each section is. In the first book I felt some topics were discussed too quickly and not always enough detail given.

I can only really speak for my section, although I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed at this book. The sections covered and from what I have seen from other writers (in the way of demos etc) have both impressed me. When it comes down to it though, it's all about your opinion :).

One thing to bear in mind is that there are a limited number of pages, and I can almost guarantee that each section will have been cut down by a noticeable amount. Certainly my section was rather verbose to begin with. The idea of course is to take out the fluff, but you've got to draw the line somewhere, and you might end up taking out stuff that in an ideal world you'd leave in. I think actually that the number of pages did actually increase from the initial estimate.
Can we have a forum for doubts people may have implementing the techniques discussed in the book? I suggest this because NeHe and Cone3D have their own forums even though they deal with OpenGL and graphics in general. So why not for "More OpenGL Game Programming"?

It would mean that all the topics here would have a strong and purposeful foundation, and each problem solved would mean a lot learned for people viewing the threads.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement