Getting correct client window size

Started by
2 comments, last by andhow 18 years, 6 months ago
This question involves Win32, so it isn't exactly DirectX, but the line between the two is pretty blurred, so this seemed the appropriate forum. If I call CreateWindow passing it a width and height, the resulting window's non-client rectangle has this width and height, not the client window. To get the appropriately sized client size rectangle, I have to do a pretty hackish, though thus far reliable, trick:
// psuedo code
HWND hwnd = CreateWindow(.., width, height, ...);
RECT almost;
GetClientRect(hwnd, &almost);
SetWindowPos(hwnd, 0, 0, 0, 
             2*width-almost.right, 2*height-almost.bottom, 
             SWP_NOMOVE);
The trick basically assumes that the non-client area is bigger than the client area by a constant amount, so you can know how much to overshoot to get the right client size. I know this has to be a common problem, so is there a better way to do this? I tried to find a deterministic way to translate a desired client rectangle into the size of its surrounding non-client window, but I could find none on MSDN or elsewhere. Any ideas? Thanks
And how!
Advertisement
The function to use to achieve this is AdjustWindowRect.

RECT r = {0, 0, ClientWidth, ClientHeight};AdjustWindowRect(&r, GetWindowLong(hWnd, GWL_style), GetMenu(hWnd));int WindowWidth = r.right - r.left;int WindowHeight = r.bottom - r.top;

Then call MoveWindow or UpdateWindow to update your window size.
You can also call AdjustWindowRect before creating your window, just insert the styles and a TRUE if you've got a menu.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Awesome! This is exactly what I tried in vain to find.
And how!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement