How viable is...

Started by
5 comments, last by Extrarius 18 years, 6 months ago
...it for a team of 6 programmers who have little experience in modding for UT2004 using the Unreal2 engine to create a game based on the engine in 20 weeks? Each of us range from mediocre to good programmers in c++.
Advertisement
Well, I have looked into writing mutators for UT99, UT2003 and UT2004 once. Learning their scripting language, UnrealScript, isn't hard, especially if you already know C++. Plus, there are a number of good tutorials available. A game consists of more than just the code, though. You'll need people with good skills in the areas of modelling, texturing and level designing. If you don't have those, using UEngine 3 might be a little over the top. Also, keep in mind that 20 weeks are not a lot of time. Usually, games take a lot longer to develop, so don't aim too high.
OK, so I've been thinking. We all also have good knowledge of java. Would it be more viable to program a game in Java ME in 20 weeks than use the UT engine? As you say it is a little OTT for those without artistic skills and like any programmers, we dont.

Feedback appreciated
In my experience, its not hte coders that limit projects but the artists. As mentioned above textures, models and level design are just as important. As many of us are programmers we aren't often veyr good at these tasks.

You'll need atlest a few people who can make textures, models and levels to create a successful mod/game.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Full-time or part-time? It makes a huge difference.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Part-Time unfortunately, we have other responsibilities
I'd say that making a game (or mod or whatever) in an Unreal Engine is exceedingly difficult because you have to understand a LOT of unrealscript and the relation of each object to every other object in the script. It isn't impossible, but it definitely isn't easy. Making a small mobile game would probably be orders of magintude easier, because it's not such a huge system and you can design most of it yourself. You will need a basic understanding of software engineering though, so you avoid making a mess of a system.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement