EXporter For 3DMAX

Started by
9 comments, last by vladic2000x 18 years, 6 months ago
Hi Everybody, I am trying to export skinned meshes and other models from 3D MAX to .X files, I am currently using Panda exporter, and they are all meshed up in many ways. I think this might be a problem with the exporter so i needed to know if there is a better exporter. Maybe if you have some experience using any. Thank You.
Advertisement
if you are experienced enough you could write your own exporter, its quite easy

download the max sdk and create a workspace with vc++ ide

the rest is described in the sdk documentation its just traversing the nodes and finding the right ones
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
In my experiences, the Panda exporter has been by far the best X exporter for 3ds Max. The fact is, the problem is with the X format - not necessarily Panda [crying]
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Hi,

Try playing with the options!

Here are the options that were good for me:

Also, with the latest version, I've found that the exporter sometimes just goes wrong, and exports bad things until you restart 3ds max. I got all sorts of random boxes, coloured triangles, etc.. everything has been solved by a restart.

My other sad experience is (whych is metioned on the homepage too), that max just crashes more frequently if you have the plugin loaded, which unfortunately happens too often on my machine..

Anyway, after finding the good set of options, I can live with it and it performs way better than the exporter found in the DirectX SDK (beacuse it has one too, maybe you should try that also)

kp
------------------------------------------------------------Neo, the Matrix should be 16-byte aligned for better performance!
www.pandasoft.demon.co.uk? I need to update my version. where is the site?
currently I have 4.2.5 ver.
Quote:Original post by SaurabhTorne
I need to update my version. where is the site?

You find it here:

http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax.aspx

kp
------------------------------------------------------------Neo, the Matrix should be 16-byte aligned for better performance!
Thankyou :)
Hi everyone,

First of all thank you all for the replies.
Since i have a deadline to meet i am not sure tht i would be able to build my own exporter. I thought maybe if i explained the problem you could give me a better solution.

One of the skinned mesh characters, it exports it to x file format. When i try to view it in Mesh Viewer it craches. when i treid to load it in my program i got an error. while some of the models are working fine.

Another problem is tht the pivot point for the translations is not in the belly like it should be but is in the foot.

I am not entirely sure if it is the problem with the exporter. It might well be since i am exceeding the limits of X file format. Is there any such limitations? if so how do i overcome this?

Thank you again
Quote:Original post by newbie_programmer
One of the skinned mesh characters, it exports it to x file format. When i try to view it in Mesh Viewer it craches. when i treid to load it in my program i got an error. while some of the models are working fine.

You should also try Deep Exploration from Right Hemisphere software. I also had some models that could not be opened after exporting it with Panda. But deep exploration could open and resave them, and after resaving, they were ok.

Quote:
I am not entirely sure if it is the problem with the exporter. It might well be since i am exceeding the limits of X file format. Is there any such limitations? if so how do i overcome this?

Exactly what kind of limitation do you think about? You must have some guesses if you ask about it :)

kp

Hi,

I was thinking of limitations like the number of bones or animations or the size of the model itself in those terms. Thank you for the reply. I will try the deep exploration software

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement